Monday, March 16, 2020

Positives in a Scary New Reality

It is insanely weird to me to think that just a week ago my largest stressor was preparing for my IEP meetings (4 of which are done, 5 of which are postponed until...?), and now I am taking inventory on food supplies and carefully list-keeping expiration dates on meats to see what needs to be frozen, and also peeling baby potatoes that went a bit green that ordinarily I'd have chucked, but now I'm like, WHAT IF THERE ARE NO MORE POTATOES? SAVE THE POTATOES!

My depression-era Grandma would have been proud if she'd lived to see this new reality. 

I am officially home; there is no school for students for the foreseeable future. I uploaded all my extension materials to my Google Classroom and printed all the packets (which my TA compiled to mail out, since I did not feel comfortable going in for the few hours today to print/copy/whatever, but I did print everything to my classroom printer so she didn't have to go to the copy room, which may have been a bit like the Cornucopia in the Hunger Games, I imagine).

See, I have asthma that triggers hard whenever I have any respiratory infection, and we now have local transmission in our community, and so I AM NEVER LEAVING THE HOUSE TO GO IN PUBLIC AGAIN. A walk, yes. Anywhere there are peoples? NO. Not gonna lie, so happy that we live in a less-populated area and I have this privilege of going outside and not worrying about social distancing. Also, Bryce is now working from home, so we don't have to worry about his exposure from this point forward, either. We are officially hermits, now that our county is officially in an outbreak.

We started with one case on Wednesday, which was travel related. Then Friday night we had a confirmed second case that was unrelated to travel and a local public school employee. She became symptomatic around 3/4 AND... now we have 11 cases. That we know about. Because it's a time machine, and what we have now is what happened 1-2 weeks ago. It's probably going to do the whole exponential thing it's doing everywhere, but the fact that it was a school employee freaks everyone out because our schools and sports and music communities are so interconnected, and we have teachers in our district who are parents in that district, and it's just a web of contagion.

Everything is closing -- schools, libraries, gyms, restaurants/bars (except for takeout), rec centers...it seems like the list just keeps going. Now we can't be anywhere with more than 10 people. A few days ago it was 50. (Of course now it matters not as I won't be anywhere with more than 2 + a cat.)

But I am not freaking out. No no no. Breathe deep. Think of some positives.

POSITIVES:
- Our school district rallied and did a food drive that will provide boxes and totes of food to our families who may not otherwise have those stores of nonperishable foods, and received $5000 in donations to buy food supplies for families, and the Food Service department packed 1000 bag lunches/breakfasts for delivery. Before Friday I had the chance to bring two full bags of groceries to the drop off, so I feel like I got to be a part of that effort too. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy (and relieved that hopefully none of our kids go hungry during this time).

- I have an insane amount of books to keep me company during this time. Like, for some reason, I did a whole crazy book hoarding thing for two months between the indie stores in Vermont and our local indie store in Palmyra, NY, and I could probably be fine THROUGH THE SUMMER.

- My Pilates studio closed temporarily, but they are doing virtual classes and so I can continue working my flexibility and balance and strength and support their local business. Between that, the walking, and limited food choices moving forward, maybe I will get in the best shape of my life!

- I have a zillion puzzles, some I haven't even done yet ever, and so that will take up some time. I'm obsessive and have a hard time stopping once I start, but now all I have is time, so have at it!

- This is a time for creativity-- writing, cardmaking, all kinds of stuff. I have a paint-by-number canvas thing that Bryce bought me during the hysterectomy stay-home-time, and I never did it, so now's the time, cheerful pink zinnia painting! (That goodness it's by number, because I suck at drawing/painting from scratch). Also, plenty of time for blogging!

- I feel like even though the news is all End of Times feeling, there's also stories of people coming together. Mr. Rogers' helpers are everywhere. It helps me feel less scared.


I hope you and yours are safe, and I hope you have what you need to hole up and ride out this crazy situation. It's so weird to say "pandemic" and not be making some weird stupid joke or talking about a YA novel. SO much thanks and love to the medical professionals who have to go out there and do their work on the ground level of this thing, risking their own health to take care of others. I appreciate you.

Want to read more #Microblog Mondays? Go here and enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. That does sound like a cozy and relaxing isolation plan! And if you are inclined to such musings not having kids definitely would make it easier haha! I have been scratching my head wondering if we should hire a nanny or something...and then waking up with a headache wondering if all the thought is for naught. Weird times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird times for sure! I do think about how I do have the benefit of not having to homeschool children while creating and connecting content for my students, and I don't have to worry about hiding my worry in front of my own children. But then again, that just means I can FREAK THE FUCK OUT at will. :) So far my brain is in a bit of a trauma state and I'm having a hard time concentrating to read or do many of the things that are supposed to be relaxing. But I am walking every day, and I did my first online Pilates class. I hope you are well and dealing as best you can with all this!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you're able to self-isolate to protect yourselves. And that you have plenty of books and puzzles to get through it! I'm about to head down to our local craft store to buy some wool to do some knitting for the first time in about 25 years. (I was going to do it anyway - this is prompting me to get in the supplies.)

    Our situation in NZ is similar to your county. I don't think we've had any community transmissions yet - all our (known) cases have been from overseas visitors or kiwis returning to NZ. But people have already been irresponsible.

    And the image of your copy room as the Cornucopia from the Hunger Games? Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mali! I have lots of books and zero focusing power to have the stamina I usually do to read for hours on end. I'm also checking my Google Classroom and putting new stuff up, and that makes me feel like I have a semblance of control. OOOOh, knitting is a great idea -- maybe you will make beautiful things during this time of uncertainty and fear. I hope that you are hunkered down and safe, it's crazier every day.

      Delete
  3. So glad that you're able to be fully distanced and no major routes of exposure. Hope that the books/puzzles/creativity are enjoyable during this time - sounds like you are well stocked! Wishing you and Bryce lots of peace and good health as we go through this.

    We're just waiting here. We're pretty sure there's community transmission going on in our area but not the tests to prove it yet (or so says our county health officer and I'm sure she's right). We're also staying in as much as possible - this situation feels so random and weird right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, it's great to be isolated... but also wearing down that 14 day clock of when I wasn't, wondering when we can breathe a sigh of relief and know we don't have it. Bryce just had confirmation of a case in his building, in a department he visits frequently. FOURTEEN DAY CLOCK. It's all going to be okay. :)

      It is random and weird. I hope you can stay home as much as possible, the thing that gets me is that by the time you have cases confirmed, you have a crazy trajectory because those people weren't symptomatic when they were out and about and that's how it spreads. Uggghhhhh. Time to be a total hermit! Hoping you are doing well!

      Delete
  4. Hey Jess. I’ve been sitting with this post for several days now. I have passed it along to many outside the community because it speaks such a positive message in since an uncertain time. And I love blogs for this very reason...being able to see how people in all parts of the world are handling this, firsthand. I am so thankful for bloggers who continue to write or anyone who documents helpfully through social media...I’m still off fb but I do love Instagram for this reason. Everyone, even celebrities are locked down right now. I’ve been inspired by Jenna Fischer and have been baking the past four days from the beginner bakers cookbook she recommends. Lol I’m going to try to get a blog post together. I’ve been trying to get my family settled as my work situation keeps changing because everything is so fluid. Keep safe Jess. And please keep writing!!❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I'm glad it was helpful and pass-a-long-able. I am struggling with the situation now, but still okay. Still lots of positives. It just feels so super surreal. It is nice to see so many people in the same boat, even if it's a shitty boat! I do like looking at it as how everyone is coming together. Then I have nightmares about home invaders and all my fruit going moldy at once and I have to remind my subconscious that we're FINE, really. You keep safe too, and baking sounds lovely! Thanks for your thoughts, I'll look forward to your post!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like cozy setup. The bright side for me, too, is more time to read! Be well, and enjoy your solitude, both inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yooooouuuuuu toooooo! Enjoy the cozy, enjoy the reading and the yoga-ing. I am in a slightly less centered place than when I wrote this, but still okay. I'M OKAY. WE'RE ALL OKAY. Right? RIGHT? :) Sending you and your family love during this weird time.

      Delete
  6. Definitely a cozy set up. It's weird isn't it? It feels so dystopian. Which I don't want to think about too much because those novels never are set in a world I'd enjoy. There's more time to do the things I've wanted to get done, but haven't been able to. And I knew I needed to write about all this because I want to look back on it and see how things were. Stay safe, friend. And looking forward to more reading on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did read this when you first posted it; just a little sllloooowwww to comment. ;) Had to laugh about your depression-era Grandma... I was brought up like that. Dh has always been less inclined to save the scraps, etc... until now! lol I have never been more conscious in my life of how much toilet paper I am using!!

    Glad you are well prepared and happy just to hole up at home... stay safe!

    ReplyDelete