Saturday, March 7, 2020

Alternate Worlds

I read a few posts recently about looking back, and imagining what would have happened if things turned out differently with regards to family building. One was someone looking back at the moment when they were pregnant with their first child and suffering a subchorionic hematoma, wondering if this would actually be that moment where a child was a result (it was). One was someone looking at decisions made by younger family members, who had a baby first and then started looking for a house and that's proving difficult, and wondering if that order had reversed if things would have been different.

It is SO HARD not to do that. Not to look back and wonder how things might have been different if other decisions, other events, other timelines had occurred.

For me, maybe I would have had a baby if I'd tried in my first marriage, when I was younger, but I would far rather have the life I lead now than have had a baby in that situation. So that one doesn't make me sad.

There's no way Bryce and I could have started trying earlier, and we did do testing and get referrals before we were even married (I signed for my first Ovidrel shot delivery in my wedding dress), so that isn't a regret.

Had my first pregnancy that ended as an ectopic survived, I would have an 8 year old, but ectopics can't be saved, no matter what some idiotic, ignorant senators might say.

That second pregnancy though, that one is a doozy. I mourn that one hard.

I had just had a friend with a subchorionic hematoma, and so when I first started bleeding, I was assured that it was probably okay, that this happened sometimes. I was relieved somewhat by the first ultrasound within an hour of the bleed, which showed a sac. All of the hopeful thoughts I'd had about FINALLY having made it to pregnancy, of giving myself permission to dream about what that would look like and how our future would unfold, I could still hang on to them, albeit with a shadow of dread creeping in around the edges.

Now it seems cruel that I was on bed rest for a couple days until blood test results came back and a fancier ultrasound was performed. I think deep down I knew that I wasn't going to be one of the lucky ones. I think I knew when I first felt cramping in the parking lot of my grandmother's assisted living apartment building, and hoped against hope that it was something normal. I knew when I saw the blood. I just hoped and hoped and hoped and hoped that it was the scary but somewhat routine event that had plagued my friends, a bleed that didn't impact the baby, that wouldn't set my dreams on fire. EVERYONE had a story about something that went wrong but still ended well, even when I had the ectopic but didn't know that yet -- there were stories about low numbers and crappy rises that ended in perfectly healthy children, see? It can happen!

It didn't make me feel better. Because it didn't happen for me, not the first nor the second time I experienced pregnancy loss. It made me feel even more like a freak, like a failure, like something was terribly wrong with me. That luck was just not on my side. That all my magical thinking and desperate bargaining was wasted because something, somewhere, did not want me to have a baby.

That second pregnancy had the unfortunate parallel window into an alternate world, when a fertility yoga friend also became pregnant the day before me, and then her pregnancy continued while mine was cut short with an HCG drop in the thousands and a fancy ultrasound that revealed a sac, but also detritus and a smaller-than-normal development that indicated that there was nothing that would have made a difference -- I was bound to miscarry no matter what. I watched her belly grow while mine grew ever squishier due to hormone fallout and grief eating. I saw her post about the birth of her baby girl in April, right at the same time my baby would have been born in other timelines, other worlds. And then eventually I hid her on social media because watching her little girl grow was just too painful, it was way too easy to imagine what life would have looked like had my baby survived.

I think that's why it was so hard when the family with two boys moved in to our old house, and the house got the family we tried to make happen, but only after we'd left. Seeing toys in the yard and hearing neighbors talk about the life in the house because of those two young people gives me another window into what could have been.

Adoption was interesting, because it was so taxing but I didn't always give myself the ability to imagine what life would be like if we were chosen. For being such an emotionally difficult process, it was strangely impersonal as, at least for us, we didn't ever see an expectant mother or get updates on a pregnancy, we were never matched, and almost all of our opportunities were last-minute, so there was no specific-baby anticipation of arrival. But occasionally there was imagining of the baby that could be, and as time went on, it felt so demoralizing to not be picked, to have everything in our nursery ready for this baby we wanted so badly, and come close but not nearly close enough every single time. That opportunity near the end where it was possible we'd have to drive to Buffalo the next day if we were the lucky couple chosen was the hardest, because it was such an imminent thing. It's hard to harden yourself against that and not imagine what a tomorrow where you're a parent would look like. That was probably the most devastating "Sorry, you were not chosen this time" moment. We could see into that alternate world and imagine what excitement and nervousness we would feel in the car ride to the hospital. But it stayed just a crushing thought experiment.

Now though, living in our new house, free of anything other than a small box of mementos from that time and a stack of books that I keep behind a bookshelf, it's way harder to imagine what life would be like with any of the children that could-have-been but weren't.

We wouldn't live here if we'd been successful. We might not live in our old house anymore, but we definitely wouldn't be in this palace of books and windows and unlimited gardening possibilities. I really try not to think about alternate worlds too much now, because it is over. That is the gift of resolution -- there is no way to change this outcome, we are in a different place, and so there's not a lot of sense in mulling over this other life that didn't happen.

Some things trigger those moments -- pregnancy announcements, seeing a child that looks like what we envisioned ours to be, spending time with friends' children and feeling like it's a shame we didn't get the chance because I so love kids and enjoy being silly and goofy and snuggly. But then I go home, and I can be grateful for my office, for my space and my time, and the ability to recharge after giving so much of myself to my students because there are no small people who need me.

I loved Mali's post on forgiving yourself, because so often these moments of looking back and thinking about what life would have looked like is a sort of self-punishing exercise. There are so many good reminders in this post about what and who you can forgive to continue moving forward in your resolution (because it is NOT a static thing). I struggle with the body piece, because I absolutely blamed my body and was oddly vindictive and pleased when I had to have my hysterectomy. It felt like a sort of vengeance. But now that that's gone, I can forgive the rest of me. All the other forgives I can do -- we made the best decisions with the knowledge I had at the time, and we decided to stop probably well after we could have, but it was when it was clear there was no way we could keep going. It cost too much, in ways that had nothing (okay, maybe a little) to do with money.

I will try to visit these alternate worlds without blaming myself for the fact that they did not come to pass. I won't linger there, because it's too easy to get stuck in brain space that isn't real, and spend too much time visiting what could have been where I can put that energy into what is yet to be. It's all part of that healing, of accepting and honoring what happened before, of working through the trauma and grief of it, and figuring out how to make the best way forward.

5 comments:

  1. I'm really glad my post helped. I never blamed my body - I guess I felt it was as much a victim of circumstance as I was. But I'm glad you can forgive the rest of you.

    I think as time goes by, these "what-if" get easier, mainly because there are so many more "what-ifs" to get through. (Eg, imagining the 16 and/or 17 year olds I might have now require imagining all the years before that too, and that's a LOT of imagining.) We can do it, but as you so wisely point out, the key is not to linger. And I love that you use the word honour, because that's my word for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I really try not to think about alternate worlds too much now, because it is over. That is the gift of resolution -- there is no way to change this outcome, we are in a different place, and so there's not a lot of sense in mulling over this other life that didn't happen."

    This is an incredible post and why blogging can be amazing....especially in an age of over simplification and polarization and instant (over) reaction to things people say and do.

    I think even apart from family building, part of the "parallel universes" challenge is growing older (not yet old lol). How we both are and aren't the people that we were in the past.

    Maybe growing older also involves learning to use a different "score sheet" for success. When young there's a lot of pressure to find the right rules to live by, and to achieve concrete goals. And realistically, if women want children they have a limited time to do that, especially if pursuing education and career etc. in the same time frame. It's a lot of pressure and one has to be goal-oriented. But as that part of life starts to recede, well, perhaps there's the opportunity to reflect on how all outcomes have sacrifices, and life doesn't have to be about the single minded pursuit of one thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really, really love this post. As you so often do, you have put your finger on a deep truth and pulled it up to the light. As someone who at times struggles with the self-punishing aspect of visiting those universes, this is so compelling.

    I love how you honor the fact that these alternate universes and the pain exist but that you work to choose how and how often you interact with them. The integration and wholeness with nothing ignored but refusing to live in the past - wow. It's the piece that's missing in so many narratives...the true coming to terms with loss and how life is now. It's also really meaningful how you point out that none of this is a static thing, an end, an "oh look, now it's all good". That it can change and move and that some moments are just *hard* is such an often overlooked and important part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. Thank you for writing so beautifully about something I've often wrestled with. So often, when visiting that alternate universe and wanting to verbally process, I'm told to let it go and get over it. I wish it were that simple. I love your last paragraph..."I will try to visit these alternate worlds without blaming myself for the fact that they did not come to pass. I won't linger there, because it's too easy to get stuck in brain space that isn't real, and spend too much time visiting what could have been where I can put that energy into what is yet to be." <3 Going to try that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading your post brought me to places in me I haven't visited in years. The alternate worlds are so hard to come to terms with. Your guidance is spot on. Go ahead and feel the feels, but don't linger too long. Release and acceptance can come.

    ReplyDelete