Monday, March 30, 2020

#Microblog Mondays: Perspective

Just a few months ago, I had the highly unpleasant experience of getting out of the shower, starting to towel off, and having a giant (okay, fine, nickel-sized) black spider come OUT OF THE TOWEL and skitter down my arm into the shower floor, where it refused to go down the drain. I screamed, I did the flailing Spider Dance, and absolutely none of it woke Bryce up. I am STILL shaking out my towels months later because it was so scary.

In the grand scheme of things though, it's not the worst thing that could happen. The world is a lot scarier than that spider in my shower, and it happened so incredibly fast. Three weeks ago was the start of a week where we were nervous in my community, but we had no confirmed cases and we had no idea that Friday of that week would be our last day of school for who knows how long. It looks so different now, and I have no idea when it will look like something else.

But, as scary as it is, I am among the fortunate. I have a job that I'm flailing through doing remotely but where I am still earning a paycheck (as does Bryce), enough food and the ability to order groceries for delivery (assuming that continues), lots of books, internet and streaming services, and a house I don't mind at all being stuck inside. Unlike the many memes out there, I would not choose option B and be quarantined away from Bryce, he's a great person to be cooped up with. Our life in that regard doesn't actually look that different, because we're homebodies anyway. It's just weird that we don't have another choice.

Over the weekend I had a raging migraine, that at first didn't present like a migraine -- more like a tension headache, and I kept checking to make sure that I didn't have a fever (with the very scientific back-of-the-hand technique, as we need to replace the batteries in our actual thermometer). I had this feeling of dread that maybe somehow despite the careful isolation and precautions taken with EVERYTHING that comes into the house, I caught the virus. I was beyond relieved when on Sunday the headache made it clear through mimicking an ice pick in my temple that it was a migraine, it was caused by the insane change in temperature and winds, and I could take my migraine meds and feel better (which finally, I do). Now that we are in a pandemic, every headache, every cough, every moment of seemingly undeserved fatigue is examined to make sure that it's not symptoms of Covid 19. It's real weird, and way scarier than that spider. At least the spider likely didn't have the capability to kill anyone in my house.

The last thing bouncing around my head at this point in time is this quote I keep seeing in my Facebook feed (yeah, I totally deleted my timer, I'll put it back on when that's not one of very few means of connecting with people):



I don't know if "normal" will ever exist the way it did before this, but it's an interesting thought experiment to think about the kinds of things we squished into our days Before that pushed out activities and time that is so nourishing now. (I also realize that I wonder this is from a place of privilege because there are certainly people who are more squished now in every possible way, either due to lost jobs, working in healthcare and risking lives for others, worried about food and housing security...)

Anyway, food for thought.

Want to read more #Microblog Mondays? Go here and enjoy! 

5 comments:

  1. Nice. I saw that too! (I always love the way the internet unites us, when friends post the same thing from Malaysia or Australia or NZ or the US or UK or Europe and particularly when it is all of those.)

    It may be that it is from a point of privilege that you are able to think about what parts of "normal" you want to continue. But that's your reality (and mine), so it is a reasonable thought. Besides, it might help those without privilege (depending of course on your conclusions) in the long run too.

    Personally, I'm hoping that the materialistic side of us might wane a little afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome that the internet makes us see the same things across time zones and miles and miles of ocean and continent! I agree, it would be great if there was more thought given to people, not things and corporations, as a result of this.

      Delete
  2. I'm definitely coming from a perspective of privledge, but I too wonder if the weeks/months of social distance will push the re-set button on things that had become the norm.

    As a kid, I went to school, came home, did homework and played with the kids on my block. I played one sport, during the school year only. I wasn't over-scheduled or over-booked. I had time to think and be creative and figure out what I wanted to be. I see so many friends who are so booked with their own social lives or their children's social lives that they don't have the time to think or be creative or figure out what they want to be. I hope this forced time helps and perhaps gives them the space to build in time when 'normal' resumes.

    Also, spider in the shower? Back during high school a friend was allowed to stay home alone while his dad was travelling for work. One day he had the same experience as you, but his Spider Dance resulted in him shattering the glass shower door. His dad was convinced he'd thrown a party in the house and broken the shower that way, and he got grounded for quite a long time! Talking about adding salt to wounds, or spider bites! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I was thinking about the whole over-scheduling thing, and how now there is NO WAY to be overscheduled (maybe except for the people I see whose kids go to private schools and have all their activities on Zoom...). I had a chat with a student today and she said that this has made her miss things she didn't realize she could miss. I don't think it will be all bad, what comes out of this.

      Oh yeah, that spider was AWFUL! Your poor friend! Although a decent inference from the dad, since one time I actually did have a party in the house and a friend got so drunk she ripped the towel rack out of the wall while barfing, and I totally lied and said that I got soap in my eyes and slipped and grabbed the towel bar and it ripped out of the wall BUT DON'T WORRY, I MAY BE SHOOK UP BUT I'M OKAY AND THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS, RIGHT? Heh heh heh. Although maybe they totally knew that was a BS story... :) That's so scary that a glass shower door shattered!

      Delete
  3. Glad your migraine went away (I realize this comment is 1 month later!). I have had a headache the past two days but I'm pretty sure that it is due to hormones and not COVID....at least that is what I am hoping. But you are right- any day I wake up and have the sniffles? Super tired? I get worried.

    ReplyDelete