Monday, November 9, 2020

Recovery Mish Mash

I'm still at home, recovering from shingles -- the rash is not an issue, but the continuing nerve pain certainly is. However, now I am medicated within an inch of my life and home for the week (I've been out consecutively since Thursday, I taught virtually last Wednesday and was home tuesday, so sorry if going into week two?), with the possibility of more time if I need it. 

This weekend I made the mistake of vacuuming and swiffering while enjoying the effects of multiple pain meds. That was a mistake. I was so excited at the news that Biden and Harris were announced as the projected winners that we went through the house cleaning, to get the actual dust and metaphorical dirt of all that came before in the trash. I just forgot that nerve pain will have its revenge if you overdo it.

Today I did a better job of laying low, but I still checked email and set up stuff and had a meeting about the social justice club I'm co-leading. So I guess maybe not so great. I was like this in infertility treatment, it's hard to truly do nothing. I want to, but I always feel guilty. And now, with our cases rising (over 400 new over the weekend in the county alone)  and being in a Yellow Zone for microclusters, I'm worried we may go virtual before I can see my kids in person again.

Why am I so stressed I got shingles? Ha. 

Leaving you on a funny note. Today we went to pick up an instacart order at the grocery (I was NOT driving) and I got a phone call that said enthusiastically, "HI! THIS IS JERRY AND I'VE GOT SOME FLOWERS FOR YOU--" and I hung up. Bryce was like, "Why did you hang up? That was REAL!" I totally didn't register "flowers" and thought it was one of those hotel special calls or other such scam. I was so embarrassed, I had to call back and say I hit the wrong button, and sure enough a coworker sent me flowers! Whoops. 

Then we ordered pizza for dinner and I got my yummy Caprese gluten free pizza, and I was eating out when I was like, "what the hell? There's no pesto on this!" So I called to complain and they were like, "umm, ma'am, the Caprese doesn't have pesto on it, it's garlic oil for the base." Oh my gracious, I forgot that when I got it last time I swapped the base with pesto. "I'm sorry, you made it right, I'm so sorry for wasting your time! I'm just heavily medicated right now..." Luckily he laughed. 

I hate feeling slow, and a little stupid, and unable to concentrate. I do hate the pain more though so I'll deal with it. Maybe tomorrow will be better! I just have to stay away from the news, ugh. That's some stress right there. 

Want to read more Microblog Mondays? Go here and enjoy! 



6 comments:

  1. I hope the pain eases soon. Nerve pain is excruciating and unfortunately responds to some meds better than others, and some meds are known for making your brain a bit sluggish. Find something gentle to watch on Netflix and chill out. Sending VERY gentle hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have been bingeing Schitt's Creek and enjoying gardening magazines and books and spending WAY too much time on my phone. I worked for 3 gotta this morning, maintenance type stuff, and I am now a puddle on the couch. Definitely sluggish! But worth it to not have the excruciating pain. Thank you for the hugs!

      Delete
  2. That's sweet that someone sent you flowers. And funny about the caprese-pesto (funny/not funny).

    Sucks that you are having nerve pain and needing pain meds. I, too, am sending you very gentle hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your gentle hugs, I am feeling much better!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you're trying to lay low. It's hard. Especially when you finally feel a little bit better and you want to do stuff, it is so easy to overdo it. I'm glad to hear the medication is working. I'm sorry you have shingles. I am cheering for your rest and healing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesssss, I am queen of overdoing it. Thank you for the cheers! Sooo much better.

      Delete