Monday, November 16, 2020

#Microblog Monday: Beauty in Letting Go

I saw this on social media and it spoke to me:

Found on Pinterest

This was one of the most beautiful Autumns I can remember. I actually got distracted driving because the trees were so insanely gorgeous: vibrant reds, oranges, golds, russets, and even purples, sometimes all on the same tree. It was breathtaking.

It never lasts, though... Even though it was SO gorgeous for SO long, the wind eventually came and the leaves fell and swirled about on the road and now we have the bare stick trees of winter. 

But now we have winter proper to look forward to, and while there's things to grumble about for sure, it is a season of intense beauty in its own right. The snow that sparkles when the sun hits it, ice glazing the trees, frost on the windowpanes, downy flakes floating slowly from the sky, cozy warmth inside while snow blows and swirls outside...

The lesson I take from this is that it is gift to receive the beauty of each season and see that over the annoying things (raking, shoveling, allergies, frozen toes). To enjoy it while it lasts and then look forward to the next beautiful thing. To let go of things that can't stay the way you'd like them to, which is a hard but necessary lesson in a pandemic. At the same time, the little things can be appreciated and celebrated more when they aren't around all the time. It makes them even more special.

Want to read more #Microblog Mondays? Go here and enjoy! 



8 comments:

  1. Love your sentiments, and it's a good reminder.

    It has been a very pretty fall. Or maybe I'm just getting better at understanding this lesson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bryce was like, maybe it's 2020 throwing us a bone--we've had to be at home and not traveling anywhere, but home has been so pretty. I miss it now, but so looking forward to pretty winter!

      Delete
  2. I completely agree with you: when the little things aren't here everyday, it's easier to appreciate them. It's too easy to take things for granted when they're always present.

    For the moment, I'm going to appreciate my giant, cozy blanket, which is helping mitigate my frozen toes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm, cozy blankets are another thing to enjoy in they moment! Frozen toes, not so much. 💜

      Delete
  3. Beautiful, Jess! So relevant to all of us who are CNBC/No Kidding, but also, as you say, in the pandemic. Or just an important life lesson.

    I have rarely spent time in the northern hemisphere in autumn - but seven years ago I had a week or so in Poland in October, and it was stunning. I just adored the colours, and couldn't stop exclaiming at it. So I'm a little bit envious that you all have this beauty all around you EVERY year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pandemic is strangely parallel to infertility in how to cope and what this massive uncertainty feels like, isn't it? Oooh, Poland in October... I bet that was stunning. Slightly less exotic is Rochester NY in October, but maybe someday you'd come and see that (and not too far from Toronto, two birds! Two birds!)! 💜

      Delete
  4. Perfectly put. (And I love your description of winter!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It makes me even more anxious to see winter beauty... It can be so beautiful! Even though they just made snow days obsolete, boooooooo.

      Delete