Tuesday, September 1, 2020

State Fair Cow

I hate going to my physical. HATE IT. I had one yesterday, and while I walked away with a flu shot (huzzah, need all the protection I can get, but ooof it was vicious and my arm is STILL sore), I also walked away with a little less of my dignity.

One of lasting gifts of infertility is a constant battle with my BMI. I hate the concept of BMI on a good day, I don't think it takes into account different body shapes and types and muscle vs fat and the fact that some people carry quite a bit of poundage in their bras, but mine has been at an embarrassingly high number for a couple of years. It's crazy to me that my BMI calls me obese. My doctor says that it would be less concerning if I carried my weight in my hips, thighs, or butt. That would be okay. But, true to my PCOS diagnosis, I carry it mostly in my torso. In my belly, in my waistline, in my bra. It's heart attack weight. And, thanks to PCOS, I am more likely to have one of those. 

The last time I had a follow-up in the early spring, I was sure that the scale would tell me a pleasant story. It didn't. The scale was cruel and I burst into tears before I even stepped off and back into my shoes. It put me in a funk for days. See, when we moved the scale stayed in the garage, battery dead, and I was like "I don't need that devil contraption!" 

But after yesterday, I'm thinking maybe I do, because I was once again unpleasantly surprised. 

I didn't cry this time, though. Because I'm pissed more than anything. 

I did tell my primary care physician that I feel like a state fair cow when I come to these appointments, that I have a weigh in and I am just getting beefier, which wins a ribbon for a cow but not so much as a consolation prize for a 44 year old woman. 

It infuriates me, because I am doing my Pilates and barre classes, up to 3 times per week, and walking at a good clip for at least 3 miles, nearly daily: thwarted only by rain or insanely hot temperatures, and even then we usually put our reflective Moon Sashes on that I got Bryce for Christmas, because I am obsessed with safety and don't want to get run over walking in a country road area with no sidewalks and limited shoulders in the dark. It's not like I'm languishing on the couch, wolfing down ice cream from the tub and eating crap. 

The last time I was in my doctor's office he suggested I try aggressive portion control, and recommended a book: Finally Full, Finally Slim. I decided that I could work on portion control without buying a book that sounded so insanely insulting. 

But, I refuse to eat like a baby rabbit. I enjoy food, I enjoy cooking and reaping the benefits of Bryce's insanely good cooking. He tends to specialize in the amazingly delicious and yet amazingly caloric foods: duck! pasta carbonara! dry aged steak and potato gratin! completely delicious Indian dishes drenched in butter and cream! I do eat smaller portions of it, but I am not giving up that simple pleasure.

I am also really proud of my progress in Pilates and the strength and flexibility of my body -- I may be heavier by the minute, but my instructor said it's entirely possible that it is partially muscle, because I am so much stronger than I was to start. I have the back thigh muscles now (otherwise known as hamstrings). I can do deep squats, like the malasana pose in yoga that eluded me for years. I can do push-ups. I have really good flexibility and balance. My stamina and endurance has grown, and when we go for walks I can go up hills without stopping to catch my breath or even slowing down. 

The idea of "slim" being the benchmark, instead of "strong" or "healthy," drives me nuts. I get that I could probably stand to lose anywhere from 10-20 pounds. But I hate feeling like I'm going to weigh-ins, and like the number on that sliding horror just keeps pushing to the right, to the right, to the right. 

My doctor didn't give me a hard time yesterday. He said it sounded like I was doing all the right things, and just to be mindful about my habits. I did go home and eat the world's saddest grilled cheese sandwich for lunch... one piece of Canyon Bakehouse heritage bread cut in half, like a little tea sandwich dipped in applesauce, so I guess it did bother me a little. 

But then today I went to my outdoor mobile Pilates class on the reformer, and I felt strong. And (more) flexible. I saw my quad muscles flexing as I did the One Hundred, and admired the curve of my bicep. I laughed and collapsed into the well of the reformer while doing side sit-ups, because apparently my obliques need some attention, but overall I left the class feeling great about my body. About what it can do. About what it is, not what I keep halfheartedly trying to corral it into being. 

Amazon.com : balanced body Studio Reformer, Pilates Exercise Equipment with  Classic Foot Bar : Pilates Reformers : Sports & Outdoors
This torturous looking device is a reformer...it is a wonder filled with springs and a gliding carriage


I am curvy. I am strong. I am healthy. I have some killer muscles under a layer of duck and potatoes gratin. That should be enough. It is so much easier to see and bemoan the flaws than to celebrate the strengths. I do not deserve to be judged like a state fair cow, especially since the number one judge is myself. I deserve to be seen as my own kind of healthy body, my own kind of beautiful. We all deserve that from ourselves, if not others. 


Me at an outdoor Wunda Chair class (cropping the other two people out for privacy).
Strong legs! Great posture! Squishy belly! :)


8 comments:

  1. I think it is important to balance weight expectations with celebrating what your body can *do.*. I mean that really is the point of a body. I have always liked the saying: “the body is the rocket ship of the soul.”

    I could never do restrictive diets either. Bleah. I know some people tried to use diet to increase fertility but for me that never appealed.

    There is certainly an element of chance too. I am unlikely to ever gain weight as long as I’m working, because stress kills my appetite full stop. But that brings its own problems. You have to find what works for you in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple of things I learned over the past few years: 1) BMI is totally bogus and invented by a mathematician with no knowledge of the human body who was working for a government at the time (great NPR article here: https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106268439)... We even discussed it in my community health class this last term. Also you are not required to be weighed when you go to the doctor! I did a Google search several years ago when I was in the thick of many failed IVF treatments, wondering why it was required and it turns out that it's not! So you can politely decline to be weighed next time you go to the doctor's.

    Pilates and barre classes are very badass for strength but unless you're getting your heart rate up significantly (which those are not designed for as they are almost always more strength based), they are more of a supplement to aerobic exercise. I did yoga for many years but it was always as a supplement to more aerobic classes like Zumba (and step, back in the day). my challenge now is with the pandemic not being able to do group exercise classes because I suck at solo exercise (I need to be told what to do haha!)...

    I would totally agree about using the word slim as an indicator of health as that's just crap. If you feel good, and can do the things you want to do, that is what is most important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything Beloved Farms says above is true about BMI. Total BS and not a good indicator of health. Hence the term "skinny fat." People that are naturally slim but have high cholesterol, blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes and assorted other "fat people" diseases. My grandmother and I are two peas in a pod as far as weight and body shape, short and hourglass shaped (with a little belly.) BMI calls us "morbidly obese" but she was always healthy as a horse and lived well into her 90s. She always said the key to her good health was staying active. Walking, work, gardening, exercise classes and a good husband for night time ;-)

    I plan on following in her footsteps. I stay active and don't worry about the scale (much, we all fall prey to diets sometimes.) If I find myself feeling heavy and want to lose a few pounds I find that what's called intermittent fasting now works well for me. Eating what I want and however much of it but only during a few hours each day. It helps me eat less overall without feeling like I'm eating less like I did when I was portion control dieting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so proud of you, too. You're being mindful in so many ways, which is key.

    Love this: "I am curvy. I am strong. I am healthy. I have some killer muscles under a layer of duck and potatoes gratin." And I think you look so healthy and present in your body!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am willing to bet you're a whole lot more fit that I am! The number on the scale is one thing (and in my case, not a good thing...!), but I find it a bit scary just how out of shape & lacking in stamina I am these days. We had great intentions of getting back into a walking routine this summer (and the times we did go walking, I huffed & puffed a whole lot more than I used to...), but it got so horribly hot & humid for so long... but it's starting to cool off nicely now that fall is almost here. Hope springs eternal...!

    I hadn't stepped on a scale since pre-COVID until early August... we had rescheduled our physicals from May to mid-August, & I didn't want any big surprises. I was actually kind of relieved to see that after several months of couch potato-dom, I had only gained a pound. Not that I was starting from a great place to begin with, but I figured things could be a lot worse...! And then our appointments were cancelled -- I was told to call in early October to see if they were scheduling physicals by then. So I have a bit of a reprieve.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BMI is definitely a flawed calculation at best. I love that you're deconstructing some of the weight stuff that seems to come up every time at the doctor's office during physicals (particularly for women). A huge YES to feeling beautiful and healthy in your own body.

    Totally agree with LLL above about loving your declaration about being strong, healthy, and having muscles. You really do look strong and amazing doing that pilates workout! And life is definitely too short to miss duck and potatoes gratin - which sound incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jess, you are beautiful no matter what. I've never been a big fan of BMI either; with our genetics I sometimes wonder if we can ever really change our body shape and size. Here are some of the things I've tried:
    Weight Watchers: 7 times.
    L.A. Weight Loss: They were more into selling their products, and OOPS, there was a class act lawsuit because people actually gained weight on their expensive program.
    URMC Nursing School Weight Loss: I gained weight on that one, too. The only weight Iost was that my wallet got lighter.
    Atkins: I lost a ton of weight, and the minute I returned to normal eating, it all came back and brought its friends.
    Noom: I just got off this one after a full year. I lost a whopping 5 pounds, but I gained a lot of insight into why I eat the way I do. Of all of the commercial weight loss plans, this one was the most encouraging and hopeful.
    Intermittent fasting: I'm doing this now, combined with a diet of mostly beans, vegetables, fruit, whole grains, seeds, and nuts. I'm using a cookbook called "Eat to Live," that is more focused on nutrition than on weight loss. I think there is hope.
    Like you, I'm very physically active, and always will be. Muscle does weigh more than fat! But my internist says too much weight is too much weight, regardless of whether it's fat or muscle, and my orthopedic surgeon says "Maybe if you lost five pounds???" So I keep on keeping on...
    Good luck, my dear. Small changes...substitutions...know thyself...

    ReplyDelete
  8. BMI is bullshit. I would much rather be strong than skinny, even if it means that I am curvier.

    ReplyDelete