Monday, September 14, 2020

#Microblog Mondays: The Puffin Project

Back in January, we were planning out a possible trip to Scotland. We were going to see puffins as part of it, on the island of Luffa or Staffa (there's apparently multiple islands where you can walk amongst the puffins, which sounds lovely). But, much like when we went on the Puffin and Whale Watching boat in Bar Harbor one summer and it was foggy so they said to get off and get a refund if you only wanted to see puffins, it was not to be. 

Well, back in the spring I had an idea to make my own puffin sighting. I ordered a ridiculous number of stuffed puffins, including ones from Audubon that when you squeeze them make a puffin sound. It sounds like a cow, but I googled it and that is indeed what puffins sound like. My best friend sent me an extra squeezy puffin to add to my collection. I lost one to a younger sister of a student (she'd bomb the Google Meets and she liked my puffins, so at the end of the year when we did our driving parade I threw one with a name tag on it to her), and now that I've done my puffin project I can give more of them to friends with kids. Because I think I could need maybe 3 stuffed puffins, max, but not 7!

Did you know a group of puffins can be called a circus? A gathering? A burrow? A gathering? Or the very boring colony? 

Behold, the Puffin Project. I am so pleased. Bryce thinks I am freaking nuts, as does pretty much anyone who saw the video I put on Facebook without any context. But it gives me such joy and makes me laugh, and I think we can all use more joy and laughter right about now! 


New heights of weirdness, right here. 

Look! There's even some nose-rubbing!

Hey puffin buddy!

Just hanging on the cliff rocks (those are rocks below my deck)

Oh my gosh there's one on my shoulder! 

Even though these puffins are tame, you don't want them near your face. 

Want to read more #Microblog Mondays? Go here and enjoy!


12 comments:

  1. PUFFINS!!! I love this - all of it. I wanna see puffins too, after missing them in Iceland and Norway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sense of humour is the gift that keeps on giving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, those are so cute!! :) I remember reading about puffins in Enid Blyton's Adventure books as a kid and wanting to see one too. Apparently they have them in Newfoundland as well as Scotland, so you might try there, once the border reopens...! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cracked me up. I love the pictures, I love the video, and I especially love that you posted the video to fb without any context. Hope Bryce got his haggis! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol. I’m not sure what I would have done if a friend on FB posted a video like that. But puffins ARE adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, I LOVE this! This is exactly the sort of happy that the world needs more of! Rock on, Puffins! THank you for doing this and thank you for sharing, it definitely brought joy to an otherwise joy-less day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There can never be too many puffins. You rock. So does Bryce! Thanks for the laugh...

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG stop it. I needed this today. You guys are SO funny! I can't with that video.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You certainly brought a smile to my face both on FB and here. I think I'm even enjoying this more than if you'd actually gone to Scotland!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is just the BEST! Such fun to watch and see the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad it brought joy to you all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. CNN must have noticed your interest in the Puffin Project an d they published about it: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/30/world/puffins-maine-kress-c2e-scn-spc-intl/index.html?iid=ob_article_organicsidebar_expansion

    one of the head lines is : Fake puffins solve the problem
    so I had to share.
    hugs and smiles,
    Valery

    ReplyDelete