Monday, June 29, 2020

#MicroblogMondays: Garden Therapy

When summer hits, I spend a lot of time in the garden. And a lot of time taking pictures of my plants. I ordered a lot of plants online, because I'm not comfortable going to garden centers even though they're open. Maybe if I go right when they open for the day... They were doing curbside but then it got busy and they stopped (ugh), so I haven't been even though I desperately need mulch and I really want a few more plants. 

I get such happiness from gardening -- from weeding and seeing tangible progress from my sweat equity, from amending soil and clearing new spaces, from carefully planting new flowerbabies and watering them and topdressing them with compost... And then seeing them grow and bloom and return.
 
Yellow columbine with blue brunnera


Pretty pink columbine, like a rocket (covered in cottonwood fluff)

The moon garden, the night blooming phlox is out and the moonflower is covering the trellis, can't wait for that to bloom with its big white fragrant flowers... night blooming phlox smell like cookies. 

Brand new butterfly bush just starting to bloom

Freya bellflower starting to bloom, and plum smokey verbascum in the back (this is a new garden space that was covered in daffodils earlier)

Ooooh, first try with helenium... so pretty and sunny!

The corner garden, the lavender is REALLY happy there

Sea holly "blue glitter" with the purple salvia, so spiky and purple and interesting

"African Sunset" black eyed Susan vine getting started up the tuteur trellis, and you can see the yuccafolium globe thistle behind it like a piece of desert hanging out in NY

The corner garden, just taking off -- still to come are orange and yellow hummingbird mints, purple veronicastrum,  giant blue globe thistles, and echinacea -- most of the coreopsis is blooming but soon there will be magenta ones too. No foxgloves this year, hoping they come back next year.

It's a good reminder that some things will thrive no matter what, but they things you tend to will thrive better. That patience is important because my old gardens took over a decade to get where they were when I left them (sniff sniff) and these are only in Year Two, so any progress and filling is awesome. It takes time and care to rebuild life from scratch. And you have to keep checking back, because it changes and grows every single day. 

Want to read more #Microblog Mondays? Go here and enjoy! 

12 comments:

  1. Your flowers are beautiful - and I want to smell night blooming phlox!

    Your last para is a perfect reminder to us all - not only in our No Kidding lives, but in this current pandemic too. Sending love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The night blooming phlox is intoxicating! Although not literally: I used to have datura, which is a nightblooming angel's trumpet, and that is LITERALLY a narcotic and you can't bring them inside as potted plants because they will alter your brain. FUN FACT!

      Thanks, I'm trying to take lessons from the garden. And I'm really enjoying cultivating something beautiful in this time of yuck.

      Delete
  2. I love your pictures! Thank you for sharing!

    I am trying to improve my observation skills in nature. My boyfriend has been pointing out basics to me- new growth on trees, new flower buds and what they are, etc. I love it.

    I remember pictures of your old gardens too. So beautiful. It will be exciting to see how your new gardens grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love a garden for that attention to growth and change, and the every day wonder that comes when something new buds and blooms. (Less Snow White is when I go outside and a groundhog has beheaded all my yarrow flowers, and I yell "mother f*#$er!" at the top of my lungs. Bastards.) I'm excited that it's coming along pretty well so far, only in year 2 for some spaces and year 1 for others! So exciting to have so much space to make garden spaces.

      Delete
  3. You are a gifted gardener. I always have njoy seeing what’s up in your gardens. 🌸

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You know, you planted those spiky yuccafolium things for me when I had my surgery, so you have a hand in that garden, too! :)

      Delete
  4. You really have a talent for creating space that is nourishing, peaceful, and beautiful. Love those columbines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel like gardening is an art along with a hobby (and workout regimen, jeez). Thank you so much! And the columbines are favorites -- I planted them last year from a bargain 6-pack and they didn't flower, so excited to see them flourishing this year!

      Delete
  5. I tried to comment on this days ago and was having a devil of a time. Oh well. The photos are gorgeous. The garden is a dream. Love the work you've done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's so gratifying when you work on garden stuff and it fills in quickly. :)

      Delete
  6. You really do have a green thumb! Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have a green thumb as long as those plants are outside... :) Indoor plants I kill dead. But outside is a different story!

      Delete