Monday, November 25, 2019

#Microblog Mondays: Nothing Gold Can Stay

Ah, but it was amazing to have a butterfly burst into being in our home because we were reluctant to throw out a green worm in our local, organic broccoli.


Every day was an adventure -- would he still be there? Where would he be?

But alas, I fear that the Lucky Attack was fatal, just belatedly so.

One week after we discovered his existence in our kitchen, I came home from work to find Broc's lifeless (but still beautiful) body in with the Christmas Cactus.


It was a beautiful week, and while he was only with us a short time, he was a sort of tiny miracle that came from a small act of kindness.

I did the documenting of his short life in part tongue-in-cheek, but I was genuinely saddened to find his empty husk of a butterfly body last week.

Even though it was sad, it was also kind of lovely to celebrate a beautiful moment that passed quickly but that we stopped to appreciate and enjoy.

As one of my students said in an index card condolence card, RIP Broc. Fly free in the flower fields in the sky.


Want to read more #Microblog Mondays? Go here and enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. The joy you took from his presence, and the feeling of sadness, even though it was inevitable, at his loss, is just lovely. This is gratitude, and mindfulness at work. You have a beautiful mind, Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I'm sad that his life was short lived. Such a beautiful butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear this - loved the original Broc story post. It's amazing how one small act of kindness to a little green worm turned into something so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Broc brought me joy, too. I love that you shared his brief yet resilient story with us.

    I guess we can call this the "butterfly effect" or something. Think it'll catch on?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a brilliant writer, thinker, and overall human being. Thank you for sharing Broc with all of us!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, this is a great reminder to pause and take in the precious moments of every day and week. Something I'm trying hard to do in between the thousand (it feels like) other things I'm trying hard to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, farewell, Broc. I kind of knew this was coming sooner or later, but I'm glad he gave you some joy for a little while.

    ReplyDelete