Monday, July 8, 2019

#Microblog Mondays: An Unfamiliar Funeral

Saturday we went to a funeral, the first of its kind I'd been to.

It was the funeral of a former student, who died of an inoperable brain tumor at just 21.

That alone was heartrending. He was diagnosed last year, and tried so many things to fight the tumor, but it killed him in the end, before he'd had much chance to do so many of the things that make up a life.

The funeral was a Laotian Buddhist ceremony, which was another first. We've been to a Laotian wedding, same family (I taught this young man my first year teaching 8th grade, and when we were having the "what did you do over the summer" conversation, he described a family wedding and I realized that we were at the same one -- we're friends with his aunt), so we've seen and participated in a happy occasion, but this was very different.

I am (somewhat) used to Protestant funerals where there is a program, there is a finite order to things, and you know what to expect -- there is something beautiful though about being thrust into the middle of a culture where you are a complete outsider, where you just sit in the grief with the family and try to absorb as much as possible.

Much of the ceremony was not in English. There were three monks, who chanted and sang in harmony, and there was a row of male family members who were novice monks for the ceremony -- wearing the orange cloth and with shaved heads and eyebrows. The women in the family sat on the floor in front of the (open) casket, wearing all white, a white sash, and white ribbon in their hair -- they were the white nuns (I looked it up afterwards, it seemed in poor taste to ask the mourners what they were doing and why). There was a ceremony where a long white cloth rope was tied to the young man, and then the monks and the novice monks held the rope and there were a series of prayers that repeated and had a cadence. There were tributes of orange cloth laid in the casket. There was a gold bowl of white rose flowerheads with scent sticks to put into the casket before the cremation, as the closing part of the ceremony (we did not go to the crematorium and cemetery, that felt too personal, but then in my online research I found that that is considered part of the funeral itself, and so I felt bad about ducking out early).

It was beautiful, and incredibly sad, and I felt so honored to be a part of it, even though it was so massively unfair that everyone came together to mourn the death and celebrate the life of someone so, so young.

Want to read more #Microblog Mondays? Go here and enjoy! 

7 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for the loss of your former student, this beautiful young person. So tragic, so unfair.
    In January we went to a funeral for my oldest daughter’s classmate who passed away from a brain tumor as well. (A glioblastoma) He was just 18 when he passed, about 8 mo the after being diagnosed. While the church the service was held at was Christian, it was a more modern church and service then I have been used to. It was so beautiful and different, but definitely made it feel so communal and inclusive, whereas other more traditional services I have been to feel more like they are for the immediate family and everyone else is just supposed to sit in quiet grief. If that makes any sense.
    I have never been to a Buddhist ceremony but it sounds so lovely, as heartbreaking as the circumstances were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How heartbreaking for the world to lose someone with so much life ahead. The ceremony sounds deeply moving. Thank you for sharing what you saw, I find it so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love learning more about rituals around the world, even the sad ones. I'm abiding with this young man's soul and with all who loved him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that's really sad. I'm so sorry. I think it's lovely that you describe "sitting in grief" with the family, as a result of not understanding what's going on. That's all that anyone can do. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really sad. It sounds like a lovely tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry for the loss of your former student - so young and such a terrible thing to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry, Jess. :( Most of the funerals I've been to have been for much older people, thankfully. You're sad when they go, but it helps when you feel that they've lived a good long life. 21 is just heartbreaking. :( The service sounds both interesting and comforting, though. I have been to lots of different kinds of Christian religious ceremonies, but never Buddhist.

    ReplyDelete