Thursday, June 20, 2019

Every Year I Say Goodbye

The end of the school year is a strange and emotional time. There is a relief that comes with it -- summer is almost here (teachers have 5 more days after students are done) and I've survived another year in a profession that I love, but that takes all you have to give and then some. Summer is a necessary benefit, to un-husk yourself and build your stores back up so you can give it all to a new group of kids.

This year was challenging for a variety of reasons, but it was memorable and many of my students ended the year in a better place than where they started.

It was a year where a student said the most hurtful thing to me they could, but then grew into a better human. (Seriously...a student said to me, "You don't have kids, you're NEVER going to have kids," and I did not try to hide the fact that it made me cry so that I could show him the impact words can have on another human, and I told him just how painful it was to have that not work out and to lose that dream, and he was visibly shaken up by it but he NEVER said anything like that to me again, and he chose a hug instead of a high five at the end of the year. WIN.)

It was a year where a Mrs. T fan club sprouted in Math class, and I had a group of young women who decided on things to sell in my name (Mrs. T piranhas, Mrs. T gluten free bagels, Mrs. T jetpacks) in dry erase marker all over the white board. Random children came up to me in the hall to ask, "What's up with the Mrs. T stuff all over the board?" They sent me off to my medical leave with a large display of Mrs. T wares, and on the last day of school they requested a picture and one of the pieces of swag on the board was "Mrs. T Sadness."

I gave an award at the Eighth Grade Award Ceremony, and for the first time I can remember, when I went up to the podium a bunch of kids clapped and hooted "Mrs. T!"

A student who I ate lunch with occasionally gave me one of her art projects, a ceramic avocado mug (regular mug shape, but with avocado skin-color-and-texture outside and creamy green inside), and surprised me with a handwritten letter on my desk about how much she appreciated our talks and my awkwardness and how she was worried about me falling since I'm so klutzy and that she was going to miss me. Then she and her friend got me amazing Harry Potter sticky note bookmarks, and a 9 3/4 pin plus an "I'd rather be a mermaid" pin to commemorate my favorite embarrassing story from 6th grade (that I will tell another time, but it involves wearing a swimsuit in front of the class).

I signed a gazillion yearbooks, some with my own Mrs. T products depicted in them.

In an effort to get to the end of World War II in my self-contained Social Studies Class, we worked ALL THE WAY to the last day of school on research poster projects and a gallery walk, and when one student complained that "You are the ONLY ONE doing work anymore, you know that? EVERYONE ELSE is watching movies and you are making us work!" and when I said, "Yeah, I know... but it's because it's good for your brain and I LOOOOOOOOVE YOOOOOU," while reaching my arms out, he smiled and said, "I know," and gave me a hug. A HUG! From an 8th grade boy pissed that we were still working!

Another student in my social studies class was thrilled when I showed her a picture of horses in my neighborhood and told her I wasn't scared of them anymore (at the beginning of the year I shared that I was terrified of horses close up because they are hairy and ginormous, not realizing that horses are her #1 special interest and it was so upsetting to her that I had to change one of my truths in 3 truths and a lie). She asked, "Do you think I helped you get over your fear of horses?" and I said "Absolutely!" (even though if I'm hiking and a horse comes on the trail it will probably still terrify me). Then she suggested I get riding lessons over the summer, because when you're riding a horse YOU are the tallest one, and I laughed and applauded her logic, but said "Let's not get crazy now!"

I made cards for all my Resource students, with a personal letter on the back about what I loved about them and what I was proud of and how I can't wait to hear about their amazing futures, and a hand-picked quote on the front.  Every single student looked touched and said THANK YOU, even ones who were super surly earlier in the year and wouldn't get caught doing something emotional/touchy-feely. I got a hug that I feared was going to make me wheelchair bound from one young man who I swear, had we been able to have biological children, would have been like what I imagined my son to be. Every so often I have these children who make me feel that way, and it is bittersweet.

Through all this, I feel so very fortunate to have this career that I love and that loves me back. I may not have children, but all of these children are a little bit (and some a lot a bit) mine, for a year. I take classroom climate super seriously and want students to know that I love them, no matter what, even when they are acting in very unlovable ways (that's usually when they need the love the most). The end of the year marks a weird Groundhog Day empty-nest moment -- they leave, a piece of my heart leaves with them, and then I get an all new group to love and nurture and help to become better humans, next September. It's an emptying and a filling on a yearly cycle.

It's always hard to say goodbye, but now I go to graduation so I know I'll see most of them again, and they really do come back and visit. Teaching is a hard job, but a beautifully rewarding one.











19 comments:

  1. Man, you sound like the Best Teacher Ever! So connected with your kids, and so connected with yourself. As a middle school social studies teacher myself, I know that these hugs and sentiments and smiles and gestures mean that YOU made them feel seen, heard, and valued. What a difference you are making in the world, Jess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel the need to also say that I get frustrated and have days where I feel utterly ineffective, but it's these awesome moments that just solidify for me that I absolutely love my job.

      Delete
  2. You sound like one of those teachers that people remember years and years later as a great one who encouraged them and cared. That is...seriously awesome. It's wonderful that you are doing this amazing (and very hard) work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! I hope so! 8th grade is tough, because it's a crap time in the students' life, and then they have 4 years of high school, so I think sometimes we get a little forgotten (and being a special ed teacher is difficult, because you totally represent everything that is a struggle, so we are rarely the ones yearbooks are dedicated to or whatnot...). BUT, it's been wonderful to have kids come back and to see kids at graduation and to run into kids in the grocery store or a restaurant and see that you really did make a difference. For me, I feel like the curriculum is important, but I really want to work on character, too -- like a "How Not to be an Asshole" or maybe "Be a Better Human" would be a better, more positive course title! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, I wish I had a teacher like you when I was a kid. I didn't know teachers could be like this. And I love that the kids made you a meme! I'm glad too that after such a challenging year, you get such wonderful rewards. But bittersweet ... yes, I can see that. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I had some great teachers as a kid, but I feel like my goal is to be the teacher that I needed during the most difficult time in school (which was middle school, hands down). I love the kids that are tough or on the margins, because they need the love so much but they either show it in really crap ways or slide into the background and feel forgotten. Yeah, the meme thing was amazing! I'm glad this year is over, it was incredibly challenging, but you're right -- there were so, SO many silver linings. And things to learn from for next year!

      Delete
  4. What lovely memories! so inspiring. I love those silent bone crushing hugs lol.

    Do send me some of your good juju: I am teaching junior high next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And whoa, GOOD LUCK! I will send you all of my juju I have to give... It's such a fascinating time in development. They are in between being kids and teenagers, even though they are newly minted teenagers. They don't know who they are. They test boundaries like the dickens, but they actually appreciate being held accountable, even if they seem to hate it in the moment. A lot of kids are actually dying for someone to hold them accountable (I don't know if you see this in your neck of the woods, but there is an epidemic of parents who want to be "friends" with their kids and who won't say no or provide consequences, but also don't want their kids to struggle with anything, and it is sooooo toxic to actually learning anything and being a good human...). They are goofy and fun and moody and learning how not to be a-holes. Enjoy!

      Delete
  5. Oh man, you sound like one of those amazing teachers I would have wanted. What a wonderful person you are to those kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's so hard, because I love them so much, but that also means that I can't be nicey nice all the time. I am not the teacher who hands out candy willy nilly, or lets kids use cell phones in study hall. I am the teacher who makes you work, who will surprise you with treats and special things but it has to be unpredictable and NOT all the time, or it's not special. I will call out crap behavior. I will always be available at lunch or after school if needed (but not before school, because I suck at mornings, ha). I think calling parents (most of the time) is the best way to ensure a good consequence, because a lunch detention lasts 40 minutes but a parent's disappointment and punishment can last a lot longer and be more meaningful (especially because I cannot take away phones or x-box consoles, but THEY can!) :) It's an amazing life to live, and one where summer is such a blessing and a reset button. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Oh, Jess, you knocked it out of the park this time! Those lucky, lucky kids. To have such a talented, caring, wise, and witty teacher as you...you are for sure making a huge impact on their young lives. I remember that sweet sadness at the end of each school year. It's a cycle of hard work, love, and loss, and you describe it so beautifully. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel lucky, because I get to have these moments and have an impact on these young lives. :) It is a sweet sadness, for sure. How fortunate to live life in 10 month cycles!

      Delete
  7. I love reading your posts about teaching. I was lucky to have had several different awesome teachers growing up and it is obvious that you are one those super special teachers for your students. Thank you for all that you do for your whole school community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That is really my goal -- I want to be someone who was there for kids in really tough times, who made them work, and made them laugh, and made them learn about content and character... that's my goal! I love my kids, and they really are mine for a time. Some for longer... like when you go to a restaurant and feel someone staring and then feel like a total celebrity as they come over and are so excited to see their teacher from back in middle school. Those moments are THE BEST. I was also lucky to have some amazing teachers, and I hope I do them justice! :)

      Delete
  8. I wish I'd had a teacher like you growing up! Most of my teachers were unapproachable or strict. Not warm like you! It sounds like you make a big impact on their lives too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks! I had some of those unapproachable and strict teachers, too, and then some who were truly warm and caring but also held me accountable, and that's who I want to be. Not lovey dovey all the time, because that's not helpful either, but warm and caring, and invested in my future and my humanity, and willing to help me but also call me out on B.S. That's what I strive for! :) I am so fortunate to do what I love and feel those ripple effects each year.

      Delete
  9. You are one of a kind, Jess. You are the epitome of what a teacher should be. Those kids are just so damn lucky to have you be there for them, look out for them, teach them, and love them. You are so good to them and so good for them, and I know you are changing their lives by being so amazing in yours. Every kid deserves to have a teacher like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have times when I suck, too... hahaha. I can get frustrated and angry, but I like to use those moments as teaching moments too -- it's good for kids to see an adult struggling with regulation as well. It's REAL. I think being real is one of the best things you can do for kids this age, because the world as a whole is so freaking fake right now. I hope to be an anchor and a lighthouse! :) You are so sweet.

      Delete
  10. Your students are sooooo lucky to have a teacher like you! They will remember you the rest of their lives!

    I hope you're having a fabulous summer!

    ReplyDelete