Sunday, March 31, 2019

A Reading List for Recovery

Here it is...my hysterectomy is scheduled a week from Tuesday, and the nerves are starting to bubble up from the pit of my stomach uterus and I am starting to panic.

I keep thinking of all the things I need to do -- I need to make my sub plans for the awesome person who will be in for me for 6 weeks. I need to plan out and provide resources for Social Studies. I need to write my progress reports, because that's the nice thing to do. I need to have my grade book all set because the 3rd quarter grade-submitting period starts the day AFTER I go out. I need to clean my desk and get all my materials in order, for as much as my goal is to have an organized desk at school I SUCK at filing, and I often do not have a whole lot of time to organize things because I am running from one issue to another, from one class to another, and any available time is spent prepping and grading and all that stuff. So my desk is pretty awful right now.

I need to make sure I have cozy pajama pants and nightshirts, and I do laundry beforehand and show Bryce how to use the laundry machines (that sounds horribly 1950s, but I am the laundry person and the new machines are all space age). I need to be sure that any of my clothes that need special treatment are done ahead of time so no sad mishaps can occur. I need to figure out what I need to do that will allow me to truly rest when this is happening.

But the most exciting thing on my to-do list is to make a reading list -- a stack of books to choose from that are perfect for recouping. The first few days will probably be more NetFlix/Hulu/Amazon Prime days, as I have a hard time concentrating on reading when I'm on pain meds. But then... I WILL HAVE SO MUCH TIME FOR READING AND RESTING!

So. My To-Read shelf is fairly ridiculous, and includes things on my kindle I have but haven't read yet. I thought I'd put my first-draft list here, and then see if you have any recommendations. These are not in any particular order (feel free to suggest one):

- The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
- Do Not Become Alarmed by Maile Meloy
- The Nordic Theory of Everything: In Search of a Better Life by Anu Partanen
- The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert
- Carry On by Rainbow Rowell
- Vicious by V.E. Schwab
- You're Supposed to Protect Me From All This by Nadja Spiegelman
- Okay, Fine, Whatever by Courtenay Hameister
- American Girls by Nancy Jo Sales
- Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman
- The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton
- The Last Mrs. Parrish by Liv Constantine
- Prairie Fires by Caroline Fraser
- The Secret Place by Tana French
- Let Me Tell You by Shirley Jackson
- Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- The Alice Network by Kate Quinn
- You'll Grow Out of It by Jessi Klein

I realize I will likely not get to all of these. I have more I could add, but this seemed a pretty balanced list to me. I think that's something that I'm looking forward to -- after this last push of busyness, of rushing to get everything done, I can just...relax. Rest. Recuperate.

I mean, I have to lose an organ in order to do this, but it's nice that there's an upside.

5 comments:

  1. Ugh...the list of stuff to do beforehand always sucks. I always get in a panic, like not covering all the bases will result is a major disaster. So my advice, do what you can and the rest won’t matter. It’s really all in our heads, anyway. A big thing would be to have an idea of meals, so you can pre-cook or shop and not have to rely on carry out.
    Book suggestions that are really good, wel-written reads but are also easy and quick and not too heavy are:
    Love Walked In -Marisa de Los Santos
    Flat-Out Love -Jessica Park
    Find You in the Dark -A. Merideth Walters
    And just an FYI-subsequent books by the first author contain loss and IF mentions, but these books listed don’t have any of that at all.
    Must love for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always think that the most important list is the list of "things to be done" that others can do (ie your substitute teacher, or Bryce), rather than trying to do it all yourself. For example, your laundry list. Just keep a pile of your things that need special treatment, and tell Bryce not to touch them, or do them only under your instruction! They can wait. (I recently had a sad mishap with an item of my clothing when D put it in the dryer. Argh!)

    As for your reading list, make sure you have light reading, or a Netflix list, for the first week. I foolishly took The Luminaries to hospital with me, thinking I'd finally have time to get stuck into it. (I did mention it to my surgeon and he laughed at me!) There was no way my head could get around it then. I needed something light and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a terrific list, and in fact I may steal it from you every time I'm looking for something new to read.

    I hear you on trying to get ahead on all that administrivia, not to mention laundry. It's hard enough taking those things a day or a week at a time. A bigger chunk than that seems so big.

    You are certainly a good planner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you are very thorough in your planning! May it all come together and may there be no laundry mishaps (or any other mishaps, for that matter).

    Your reading list looks amazing.

    Sending lots of hopes for the procedure to go well and a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL... my own dh has been learning to use OUR washing machines this week too! (until I get a clear bill of health from my optometrist re: my wonky eye). He's done laundry before (although it's usually my territory), but not here, and yes, as you mentioned, the newer machines are pretty complicated...! I just posted on Facebook, that "You never know how OCD you are until you watch your husband doing (& folding, & putting away) the laundry..." ;)

    You are very organized! & I love your reading list. :) I agree with Mali, though, make sure you have some lighter/more frivolous choices, especially for the first while. I've read & enjoyed both "Prairie Fires" & "The Alice Network." You know what i've been reading, because I post about it on my blog. ;) I just started "Daisy Jones & the Six" which looks like it might be fun...

    Sending speedy recovery vibes across the lake... :)

    ReplyDelete