Monday, January 21, 2019

#Microblog Mondays: Ten Years

Ten years ago today, I polished up a letter I'd written to Bryce, cleaned the house and made a tasty dinner while he was at work (I had the day off due to the holiday), and got ready for the most stressful 15 minutes of my life.

I had written a letter to him while visiting my best friend, and that letter was basically a treatise on why we should get married. We had talked about getting married before, and Bryce was feeling down on the institution and at one point said in frustration, "Why does it always have to be the guy that proposes?"

Well, I fixed that.

The letter talked about how good we were together, how I believed that marriage would create a deeper partnership and the basis for our family. I included some very unromantic details about how it would be helpful legally, but most of it was why I really, really wanted to officially become husband and wife.

Bryce is a slower reader, and he didn't know exactly what was in store for him, so when I gave him the letter and said "Read this" and then tried (and failed) not to stare at him, he said, "could you go do something for a little bit? You're making me nervous!"

At the end, he got teary, jumped up from his chair, and yelled, "YES! YES I will marry you!" (I was pretty sure he'd say yes, but I was still super nervous myself.)

It was a beautiful moment, and another milestone in our beautiful life. It is crazy to me that it's been 10 years since that moment, and to think on all we've experienced -- the joys and the suffering, the transformation, all that life lived together. We don't have fancy plans for tonight, but I feel like just sitting in our new home, surrounded by our books and cats and cozy nooks and music and yummy food (and maybe a little champagne), that will be celebration enough.

Want to read more #Microblog Mondays? Go here and enjoy! 


20 comments:

  1. That is really awesome! Such a beautiful and romantic story. Because that's really what proposing is all about - the reasons why two people should build a life together and both being on the same page. So lovely and wonderful. Thanks for sharing it!

    Congratulations on ten years! May there be many, many, many more for you two together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a fun beginning to our marriage. It was new for both of us--I'd never proposed, and he'd never been proposed to! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, that's lovely! Happy 10 Year Proposal Anniversary!
    And yes, it sounds like your plans for the even are indeed celebration enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We had a yummy dinner, and champagne, and I made a playlist of our relationship, which we listened to all night. It was LOVELY.

      Delete
  3. This brought tears to my eyes. Congratulations on this beautiful anniversary. Wishing you both many, many more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a special moment, and one that makes us so happy when we remember and commemorate it. :)

      Delete
  4. How wonderful! You are an amazing couple. Love you both to the moon and back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy happy engagementversary to you both! Love your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We kind of do everything a bit our way, I guess! :)

      Delete
  6. You guys have the sweetest love story ever, I swear! Congratulations and Happy 10 year!! You have so much good to celebrate! Hope you had an awesome evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Charlotte! I love our love story, and I'm glad you do, too! It was a LOVELY evening. Relaxing, and delicious, and bubbly, and filled with music from the past 10 years that meant something to us.

      Delete
  7. Awww, Happy Proposal Anniversary! Love that you seized the initiative like that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was funny, when he was all, "argh, why does it always have to be the man, argh," I was like, "OKAY then, I will take those reins!" I have zero issue taking control of a situation. (Might be a problem sometimes, ha.) :)

      Delete
  8. Wow, what a fantastic way to get engaged! So many congratulations to you on your engagement date!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It was definitely memorable.

      Delete
  9. Oh I love that story so much! congratulations on 10 years!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it's crazy that it's been 10 years!

      Delete
  10. Love this story! Do you guys still have the letter?

    ReplyDelete