Monday, January 14, 2019

#Microblog Mondays: Honesty, and Delayed Sadness

One of the reasons why I love working with middle schoolers is that they do not shy away from difficult questions. Most of the time, if they feel comfortable enough to ask a tough question, I like to answer it (appropriately of course), because they genuinely want to know. (Although today a student asked, as a "Health question," when I lost my virginity... after I got over the shock I let them know that I was ABSOLUTELY not going to EVER answer that one, and that was more a question for parents, which was met with "EW! Why would I ask them?" and I answered with "THEN WHY WOULD YOU ASK ME????" Weird, weird, weird.)

So when a 7th grader who has a tendency to be naughty, but also oddly thoughtful, asked me in study hall last Friday if I had kids, and I said no, and he asked why... I figured I'd be honest.

I told him I'd wanted kids real badly, but that it just didn't work out.

He said there was medicine, that his mom had used medicine.

I said we did the medicine, and it didn't really work.

Then he said we could have tried adoption.

I said we did try adoption, two years of adoption, and that didn't work, either. (That blew the kids' minds, they didn't know that could not work out.)

He asked why it didn't work out, and I told him.

We'd done years and years of the medicine way. We had 6 opportunities where we could have been chosen to parent, but weren't, to varying degrees of devastation.

But most of all, we hit a point where we just couldn't do it anymore, where it took too great a toll on our physical and mental health. I said I was real stressed, and it made me sick. It was not a good situation.

There was some arguing about whether or not "sticking with it" is positive in that sense, and I might have brought up the fact that when you're in the emergency room, maybe it's time to reexamine your life and decisions and let it go. That 8 years was quite enough of living for something that didn't happen and felt like it never would.

And then he said,

"Well, I'm sorry. I just thought you'd be a really awesome mom."

And I said,

"Aw, thanks. Me, too. Me too, but life had other plans. It's a real shame."

I congratulated myself on sharing but not oversharing, of giving a dose of a storyline most kids don't get when it comes to family building, and most of all NOT CRYING. Not even a tearing up. I even managed to completely calmly say, "But you know what? I get to take all that mom energy that I would have used on my kids and SPREAD IT OUT TO YOU!!!" and then laughed maniacally.

But then Saturday night it came back to haunt me. The unfairness. The fact that everyone had a story about people who DID make it to the end with a baby, and I seemed to be this anomaly.

And that naughty boy with the core of goodness, who thought I'd make a good mom.

I cried. I couldn't stop. I fell asleep with a wet pillow.

But, I woke up and felt the gratitude for all that I do have, for the energy I have for my challenging students because I get most of my nurturing in at school and can come home and sink into my lovely home, my wonderful husband, and my cozy cats. It didn't linger, but in that moment of delayed sadness, the grief just seeped out like a spring.

Being grateful for what you do have doesn't mean these moments of grief won't remind you of what you lost. But I am also grateful that the farther I get from the rawness of it, the faster I bounce back.

Want to read more #Microblog Mondays? Go here and enjoy! 

13 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful story, Jess, even though it’s sad. One, because this boy told you and reaffirmed what all of us know about you, but two that it did give you a moment of delayed sadness and emotional release, which is not fun but so vital to do once in a while.
    I agree with your last paragraph so much. It is very similar to something I heard during a reflection reading at a Celebration of Life last week (a teen student in our community lost his battle with glioblastoma, so it was very tragic and sad) where the Preacher was saying that during times of sadness and grief, it is ok to hope amongst the hurt and vice versa. Because so many times when we are either in a space of loss or grief, or when we are in a place of All Great Things, we feel like it’s not ok to have opposite or conflicting feelings, and that is just not how life works. It’s just a great message to be reminded of, so I like how what you said about gratitude tied in to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charlotte. I agree that people forget that it's okay to have feet in both the sadness and the All Great Things. I'm so sorry for the loss of the student... so sad.

      Delete
  2. Oh Jess. You are amazing. You had an insanely hard conversation that most adults would have failed miserably at, patiently walking these kids through life realities that terrify so many. You did in calmly, thoughtfully, and empathetically. I honestly would have started crying in the middle of it because of all the emotion behind the journey, which is another reason you are such an awesome teacher and mentor.

    I’m not surprised that the emotions hit you later. It is insanely unfair that people like you and Bryce come out not parenting. I wish I could tell you that there would be a time where it doesn’t hurt so much. I’m sorry I can’t do that. So instead I’m sending love, many hugs and letting you know that I’m grateful for all you do and the love and light you spread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... I think if this was a year ago, or a year and a half ago, I would have been a sobby mess. I am pretty good at stuffing my feelings in a bit so I can have honest conversations with kids, but like you said, they seeped out later. It would probably be concerning if they didn't. Thank you for your sense of injustice, and for your love.

      Delete
  3. I am so so glad you answered the kids this way. Explaining that you can try all these things, but they don't always work out. I am sure you blew their tiny minds, in the best possible way. I hope they took it home to discuss with their parents too, spreading the understanding.

    And yes, as we heal, the grief still bursts through. But we can even welcome it as time passes, because we know it doesn't stay at that level, that we survive it, we bounce back, refind the joy, live, and live well.

    Still, I'm sending hugs for that evening of tears. Because your grief needs to be honoured too.

    (And PS. I'm laughing at the losing-your-virginity discussion!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mali... I feel very strongly that kids need to know that things don't always work out, and you need to be able to be resilient and find new things to pursue when life hands you twists and turns. Unfortunately so many of my students know that already, but there are a fair number who think what you hope for is what you get if you just believe hard enough. I don't want to be a total bummer, but I also feel like adults are afraid to let kids in on that, that it's like revealing Santa or something. I think if you know someone who has had hard parts to life and is still living a very good, very happy life, that can give you hope for your own disappointments and losses.

      Thank you for the hugs! And oh holy jeezum, one of the kids brought the virginity thing BACK UP AGAIN on Monday! WTF! I was like, "I AM NEVER GOING TO ANSWER THAT QUESTION, NICE TRY!" They definitely are curious, but some things don't need to be shared, ha. I did say "I was not a minor!" :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, Jess, you handled that beautifully. Even if you were just trying to explain those realities to your student, and even if they hadn't been your personal realities, that was an insanely difficult conversation and you managed it with tact and grace and a beautiful spirit. Your student is lucky.

    I'm deeply sorry for how painful that turned out to be. Grief that sneaks up on you and just overtakes you at times, especially after triggering events, is normal in my world, but it's not easy. Good for you for letting yourself feel, that's so important to life and to healing. Sending you so much love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it was hard. But also important, I thought. Thank you so much for the love and the empathy... I'm glad that I'm in a place where that doesn't relegate me to the floor for hours!

      Delete
  5. You turned an uncomfortable situation into a teachable moment. Kudos to you.

    Hugs to you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And I appreciate the hugs.

      Delete
  6. Oh, yes, it's the both/and. You (we all) can be content and ok and at peace, and still have moments of grief.

    Wow, did you handle this well. So mindfully. You were authentic within yourself and connected to this naughty/good boy. I'm such a fan of yours, Jess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It is hard to know how far to take things, and I feel like not all parents would appreciate it, but it sounds like his family was one of the tribe. He is such an interesting kid, definitely complex in his naughty/nice makeup.

      Delete
  7. Oh wow. I'm in awe of how well you handled that. It's lovely that you're honest with your students and gave them such a teachable moment.

    I'm sorry it was so painful later. It is absolutely unfair and hard, and as others have pointed out, that grief deserves to be honored.

    ReplyDelete