Monday, January 11, 2021

#Microblog Mondays: The Christmas Books

Every year for Christmas and my birthday, Bryce gifts me with books that he has hand-selected with the help of various lists, hoping that they are books I've never read and may not have heard about before. 

This year, my haul from Bryce was TEN books: 


I am so excited, it seems to be a really well-curated haul (they usually are, but these in particular seemed perfect for the times we're in!). I am also sad to say that there are books he's gifted me previously that I haven't read yet, so I am now reading The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemison because that was a pick a year or so ago that just hadn't made it to the top of my TBR pile yet. BUT, first I read three (although one is cheating) of the books gifted above during break: 

1) Notes On A Case of Melancholia or A Little Death - this is a wordless picture book but probably (definitely) not for the small children, about Death who is frustrated that he can't kill this therapist and then opens up about his disappointment in his progeny who apparently just wants everyone to smell flowers. Not giving anything away, it's delightful and very Edward-Gorey-like. This is the cheating one. Do you "read" a book with no words?

2) A Game of Fox and Squirrels - This is a young adult, really closer to middle grade, novel that mixes reality and fantasy, in a slightly less disturbing way than Pan's Labyrinth. The main character and her sister have been removed to a family resource foster care situation with her aunt following an incident that revealed her parents' abuse, and there's also a charming-not-charming fox and some (maybe?) helpful squirrels. It was good but also painful to read. 

3) Why not try to end 2020 with reading short stories by Brian Evenson, Song for the Unraveling of the World? I didn't quite make it, it was my first book finished in 2021 (not thinking about that too hard), and it was SPECTACULAR. Excellent science-fictiony-horror that sometimes defied classification. Really great collection. 

SO MUCH GOOD READING ahead. It's great to have something to look forward to! 

Want to read more #Microblog Mondays? Go here and enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. What thoughtful gifts! I'm happy for you. You are so right that it's great to have something to look forward to!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Bryce was like, "are you sure you still like me getting you books? It's a LOT of books." UM NEVER STOP. Best presents ever. :)

      Delete
  2. Yes, you can "read" a book with no words. They're called picture books! It's just like I can "read" an audiobook. lol

    YA books are often filled with fabulous writing, aren't they?

    How lovely to have all the remaining books left to read. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! True. "reading" is relative! YA books are amazing, especially the fantasy. I love a good worldbuilding. So many new worlds to inhabit!

      Delete
  3. Now you've got me intrigued on 3 counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, now I'm intrigued about which three! I may need you to tell me... :)

      Delete
  4. I can't see the photo but I love that you have a big pile of books to keep you entertained through the winter! :)

    ReplyDelete