Monday, April 1, 2019

#Microblog Mondays: I Forgot

The other day I was driving with my best friend to that home wares store I love, because she was only here for 24 hours and it seemed a fun thing to do.

The daycare center that we were going to send our fictional child to is on the road just before the store. I think about it every time I pass it, but I don't pass by regularly, so it doesn't exactly qualify as a stabby moment. 

Except this time, we were driving past, and I missed the sign (because it's behind a church and that sign is clearly visible, while the daycare sign is one of those folded board things). 

"That's the daycare where we were going to send our child," I said and pointed back towards the woodsy play area. 

"Oh? What's it called?" 

"It's called...It's called...ummmmmm... Rich something?" 

HOLY CRAPADOODLE DOO. I forgot the name. 

I kept searching my mental files for it, and all I could remember was Rich. 

My friend asked, "Does that make you upset?" 

I grinned. I laughed. I CACKLED. 

"NO! I am THRILLED that I forgot the name! I FORGOT THE NAME OF THE DAYCARE WE NEVER SENT A CHILD TO BECAUSE THAT CHILD DIDN'T ACTUALLY EXIST FOR US! This is a freaking MILESTONE!" 

Even though 3 minutes later I did remember, sort of (Bates Rich, but then later Bryce reminded me that this location was called Rich Beginnings, so I still felt giddy about not remembering), it felt AMAZING. 

Once upon a time I held on to all these tiny details that pricked me like a thousand needles, and I carried them as if they were tiny, yet heavy, poisonous treasures. The fact that I am beginning to forget means that I am letting go of some of that information I no longer have to hold on to; it is irrelevant to my present life. I mourned it, I mourned it HARD, but now this particular piece can be released from my mind and my heart. 

I have never been so happy to forget something. 

Want to read more #Microblog Mondays? Go here and enjoy! 


4 comments:

  1. Oh wow! Yes, I remember that feeling of holding on hard to the details. The joy of forgetting is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a vibrant piece. I forgot, words that could be mistaken as sad could bring so much joy. I'm still at the point where I hold on to details... what color i wanted the nursery to be, the theme of the baby shower, the songs played at the funeral...things that still prick my heart. Your post gives me hope that after I have mourned it won't hurt as much and that i too could forget some details. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this, Jess! Way to live the life you have joyously and with presence <3.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw yes. Shit, that must have been an amazing feeling, Jess. <3

    ReplyDelete