Monday, February 18, 2019

#MicroblogMondays: A Home Away From Home

Last weekend at the cabin in the Finger Lakes felt like a dress rehearsal for this week -- our much needed multi-night long weekend in Grafton, Vermont.

It's bothering me that I can't remember exactly when we started coming here, but I think it was 2008 or 2009, then 2010 for February Break, then Christmas three years in a row, some summer weekends on the way home from Maine, an Easter weekend getaway, and now this glorious February extravaganza.

Grafton is one of our favorite places, a romantic spot that is truly away from most things stressful and is all about eating, drinking, reading, and hiking. As soon as we descend into the valley, we feel this immediate dropping of the blood pressure and a sense that we are at our home away from home.

This time, we've read books by the fire, I've done three mini puzzles, we've played Movie Memory, had delicious dinners, gone to two independent bookstores, and hiked around town.

It is pure relaxation. Which is good, because the rest of break needs to be spent writing IEPs. Balance. Rejuvenate first, then go back to work work working.


Happiness, foggy glasses, snow, freezing just a bit

Picturesque Vermont barn in the snow

Snowy frozen river footbridge 

I am in love with this barnside mural

The Tavern and Historic Inn... We stay in the cottage across the street in a quiet, our of the way room

View from our room in the morning


Mini puzzle in a tin!

This one is called "Silver Birches"

And this one is "Red-Eyed Vireos" by Charlie Harper. I may be addicted to these travel puzzles! 

Ahhhh, reading by the fire after a Vermont country breakfast

Hiking up Bear Mountain

Not bad for a shot out a moving car... This moon was truly spectacular and barely captured here.

Books from Misty Valley Phoenix Books in Chester

Books for me bought at The Northshire Bookstore in Manchester

Bryce's book stack from the Northshire.

Delicious Italian wine at fancypants dinner

I really do feel so fortunate to be living this beautiful life.

Want to read more #Microblog Mondays? Go here and enjoy! 

7 comments:

  1. Such gorgeous scenery!! I have to say, you captured it perfectly because I actually felt the cold, especially in the picture of you and Bryce! Such a great picture, btw! And the pic of the moon came out so well, it’s so hard to get a good one on your phone in the first place!
    I hope some of that calm and relaxation carries you through the IEP writing. Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so amazing!!! Seriously. I love the cozy new-England-ness of it all. I hope to explore that corner of the world someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sound of your long weekend. And the view from your room in the morning is just magical to me. Though I can't imagine how you hike in all that snow.

    I hope you feel sufficiently relaxed and refreshed after such a lovely sojourn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks insanely amazing. So glad you guys have this place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so fabulously amazing, relaxing, and stimulating all at the same time. I would love to get to this place, too! Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks just lovely. What an amazing place! Here's hoping that the relaxation and atmosphere stay with you as you head home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this looks so pretty! :) Glad you have found the perfect getaway spot! (The books look pretty great too, lol.)

    ReplyDelete