Monday, November 12, 2018

Hurtful Comments

I've been holding on to a couple of comments that happened on the same day in October, because life has been totally crazy lately and consumed with house nonsense and school difficulties. But maybe if I write them down here I can let them go.

I was at a training, a second run of a program meant to seek equity and diversity in schools, when we did a different sort of icebreaker activity -- The Hot Seat. Instead of the dreaded go-around-the-room and introduce yourself (name, where you teach, what you teach, something interesting maybe), each person had one minute where anyone in the room could ask any question of you. Which is interesting, but not exactly less stress-inducing.

Other people went before me, and I heard the question I dread over and over "Do you have kids? Do you have kids? Do you have kids?" -- although to be fair more interesting questions were asked too, like favorite vacation spot, last movie watched (ha, what's a movie, I have kids, ha ha ha HA ha), pets, etc. Interestingly, I was sandwiched between two other women who also do not have kids.

At the end, I was like, "wow, I'm so happy that no one asked me if I had kids!" to my friend who was also not asked if she had kids (although to be fair she is quite a bit younger and so maybe the assumption wasn't there?).

But then she told me...that I'd missed it, but when she asked me how many books I read this summer, and I answered "23," someone asked at the same time someone else asked another question, "Do you have kids?"

Except it wasn't a nice inquiry. It was sarcastic, like, "you couldn't POSSIBLY have kids and read so much, so you MUST not have kids, you oddball childless bookworm."

I'm glad I missed it. (Although it might have given me the opportunity to say witheringly, it's NOT by choice.)

However, I didn't miss the pointed comment directed to me by a coworker and friend who MUST have had amnesia because she knows my story. I said I was rushing home to have roasted duck, and didn't even get to say "for my anniversary dinner" before she said, "you guys always cook such fancy food -- well it's because you don't have kids. I never cooked fancy food when my kids were home."

UM, NO ACTUALLY, IT'S BECAUSE WE LOVE TO COOK AND IT'S OUR FREAKING ANNIVERSARY. We don't have roast duck on a Tuesday, typically speaking. Because...even though we don't have kids, we are actually quite busy and have responsibilities that make weekday gourmet difficult, despite our state of barrenness and empty extra bedrooms.

I did actually say the caps, minus the "freaking." I asked friends of mine with kids who I know love to cook, and they were like, "how ridiculous -- if you have things you love to do, having kids doesn't have to keep you from doing them. Not cooking because you have kids? That's a choice." Maybe you can't do gourmet dinners and read for two hours every night, I get it -- your time is not entirely your own, and at some developmental stages are more time-sucking than others. Maybe I would have felt differently if it was phrased in a way that made it sound like, "that sounds so lovely, I wish I had duck on a Tuesday!" or "I wish I could read so many books during the glorious summer months!"

But it really burned my britches to have my free time exploits so summarily judged and put into the box of, "Well, she doesn't have kids," most definitely packaged as a statement of what isn't rather than what is, of a lack rather than an alternative.  It's always amazing to me how not having kids allows people to both bemoan (and rub in) all the things I'll never get to do, all that I'm missing, but then also begrudge me what I do have. 


7 comments:

  1. I’m a firm believer that comments like this are completely reflective on the people to say them. Both parties are jealous. One is jealous that you are reading books at an admirable level and the other is jealous that they suck in the kitchen (seriously Jess, take note because come potluck time that dish she provides is one you want to ignore).

    I’m so sorry those comments were said. It sucks that they hurt. But please recognize the attacks are from people who have glaring flaws in their lives and this is the only way they can feel slightly better. Feel free to pity them.

    And avoid anything that other woman brings to share that comes from her kitchen (very serious about this one)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Cristy. The comments are a result of serious jealous or defensiveness. Maybe the one who commented after you mentioned your summer reading was feeling guilty because she had intended reading books, but spent all summer on social media or reality TV. Maybe the one who commented on the cooking was feeling guilty because she had given the kids the same dinner three days in a row, or was eating a lot of takeaways (I think you guys say takeout) or fast food. So they lashed out. Or maybe they're just ... well ... I want to say the "b" word, but I can't. (I hate that word.)

    Also, my mother (yes she was a stay-at-home mother) used to cook roast duck on week nights (we lived close to a duck-hunting lake). I adore roast duck - farmed, and wild. Good for you.

    The thing is, it does seem acceptable to criticise us both for what we have and what we don't have. I'm glad you responded to jealous duckless woman, and - in a nice tactful way - called her out on her comment. Also, I'm sending hugs. These comments bite, even when we understand where they might be coming from.


    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh Jess I am SO sorry people freaking suck. And idk what is up with your coworker who knows your whole story...maybe it was a foot in mouth type of comment??
    I fall on the other side where I get judged for NOT doing things. I haven’t seen the latest movie? How could I miss it? And since almost everyone in my field has more than one job, it’s downright shocking I have “off” M-F and don’t work anywhere else. Once I got told my one girl “So you do nothing all week long” and I wanted to lunch her face. People are just plain dumb.
    And I have to say I don’t think I like that HOT SEAT idea at all. Giving people free reign to ask any questions just seems like a bad idea given most people don’t think before they speak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those comments are (borderline?) veiled insults. Like Cristy said it says more about the person who said them than you. I hope to read some of your book reviews by the way! I've been looking for ideas for what my book club could tackle next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy I'm sorry about those comments. I agree with everyone else- they are definitely coming from people that are jealous. Just because you have kids doesn't mean that you stop doing everything that you love, but maybe you just don't do it all the time or the person doesn't prioritize cooking. CP cooks all the time but doesn't cook super involved/gourmet meals every night....but really who does when both spouses work? I love that you had duck for your anniversary- YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooof, those are awful. I'm so sorry you had to deal with those. Like others have said, it definitely says more about the people who said them, but it's still frustrating and hurtful.

    That hot seat game sounds like a nightmare! So many ways that could go wrong...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary. :-)

    Some people are so icky. May you continue to garner the strength to deal with the icky people and their comments.

    ReplyDelete