Monday, December 28, 2020

The New Tree

 Well, we did it. The artificial tree is up, and I have to say that I LOVE IT. It's not quite the same as a "real" one, but it has: no needles everywhere, no sticky sap giving me hives, no fear of cat death from tree water lapping, no wondering where to put it when it's done, no lingering guilt over sanctioned tree-murder... and for positives, it HAS A REMOTE for the lights, which sparkle like stars, it fits ALL our ornaments, it's bigger than any tree we could safely transport in our cars (7.5 feet tall!), and it can live in the attic. I thought I would be all grudgingly okay with a fake tree, but man, I feel all in on it, even though the branches feel somewhat like mascara wands. 

I thought I'd share some of my favorite ornaments. Sadly, we couldn't find my puffin ornament (it's SOMEWHERE, I just don't know where), and this is not exhaustive, but here's the ornaments and stories that go with them: 

Love this book-toting mouse. Saw it a year ago and toyed with giving it away but couldn't part with her!

This is the newest, a Danforth Pewter Snowflake Bentley 2020 ornament. Trying to make this a tradition. Also love the owl peeking from the back.

This is also new, from our administration at school and the Tech teacher, who churned out one of these FOR EVERY STAFF MEMBER. Nice, right?

A beautiful hand-painted owl

Another owl, with slightly evil eyes and apparently placed where it can remind me that the tree has joinery. Hmmph

This was part of a set from Target within the last couple years, the rest is a bluebird in a scarf and an owl, but this reminds me of BingBong from Inside Out. So fun and also terrifying.

Speaking of terrifying, this was a gift to Bryce last year -- his very own Cthulu blown glass ornament! Hilarious, a Lovecraft Ancient Evil One on our tree, watched over by the fox that goes with the owl up above.

Beautiful, woodsy new home ornament. And a violin!

Bryce loves a woody tree car, and we have them hidden around the house all season (pillows, pewter ornaments, etc). So old-fashioned.

This is special, it was from the family of a young man with autism who I taught for three years in a unique situation where we were 1:1, when he was 15-18. This was the last year.


Also special, flowers from my grandmother's funeral. I love that she always has a spot on the tree.

Ahhh, Cape May! Used to go there in summer with my best friend, her mom, and her aunt, until she started having kids and I started not-having-kids. Someday we'll go back!

These are super special: 



These are each part of sets that my best friend bought me in 2006, sort of new-start ornaments. I had lost a lot of ornaments when I left my first husband. There was a box when I went to pick up stuff but I didn't feel safe or comfortable going inside the house formerly known as mine, so I had to be fine with whatever was there and chalk the rest up to loss. Christmas 2005 was pretty much a disaster as my marriage imploded spectacularly with the revealing of horrid secrets right before Christmas, and my dad whisked me away to L.A. so I could be somewhere totally new. So my first Christmas, sort of on my own (I was already dating Bryce at this point, but just, and living in my parents' house they'd bought for retirement), I got to have sets of brand new ornaments. I cried my eyes out because it was such a meaningful, thoughtful gift. And they go on the tree every year! 

There's about a zillion more ornaments with stories, but seeing as how it's supposed to be Microblog Monday, I'll stop here (which is still over the rules, sigh). 

Happy holidays to you and yours!


Want to read more #Microblog Mondays? Go here and enjoy!


5 comments:

  1. I love your tree and ornaments. They're beautiful! OMG, I want the mouse/book ornament! And the 2020 ornament made by your colleague is really special.

    And the eyes on your owl don't look evil to me - in fact, they reminded me of the Turkish evil eye symbol that wards off bad energy.

    I'm glad you saved some stories about ornaments for next year. Because I loved reading them, and want to read some more in the future!

    Sending greetings and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a GORGEOUS tree! and I love your ornaments! My mom used to have two trees, the traditional one with our old family ornaments on it upstairs, and a smaller tree downstairs that was a combination "fashion" tree (all silver ornaments) & the ornaments that her kids at school gave her (she was a teacher's aide before she retired). I hope you are enjoying a well-deserved break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this tour of your beautiful tree. And while it's a bit painful to look back at Christmases past (especially a certain one), look at how strong and well-partnered and contented you are now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is a stunning tree! Your ornaments are amazing, thank you so much for sharing. I love your mouse, and the woody tree car! We have a family tradition of counting trees on top of cars all season with the hope of reaching 100, (real ones, that is), so any car with a tree has a special place in my heart! Enjoy your beautiful tree with the remote and have a wonderful holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your tree and ornaments and bookcases!! I agree with Mali. I want more pictures and stories of ornaments next year lol. Your grandmother's ornament is very special. What a good idea, to put small keepsake things inside a clear glass ornament. You reminded me that I have a special ornament for each of my grandparents. Maybe my stuff will be out of storage next year and I can share them in a post. Thanks for sharing all of your pictures. I always love everyone's pictures.

    ReplyDelete