Sunday, October 25, 2020

Love Bats

 This weekend marked 11 years since Bryce and I got married at our favorite Mexican restaurant -- we are dorks and have SO MANY anniversaries (our date-o-versary, our engage-o-versary, two wedding anniversaries, 10/23 and Halloween)... but I figure nothing's wrong with extra celebrating. 

Usually we do something where we go away for at least one night, typically local, and have a lovely dinner and enjoy each other's company. Well, with COVID that isn't happening. We have been enjoying each other's company pretty much exclusively since March, but we wanted to somehow mark the occasion with something special. 

So, I did a thing. 

I have a friend from grad school who has turned out to be an insanely talented watercolor artist. She has done a lot of songbirds, some lovebirds, a friend's fluffy gray chick... I love her style and had an inspired thought. 

What if, instead of lovebirds, she painted us LOVE BATS? 

What is a love bat, you may ask? It's just like a lovebird but nocturnal. Bryce LOVES bats. He adores them. We both get excited when the little brown bats in our neighborhood go whooshing around in the summer, and we're sad when they go away. A bucket list thing for us is to see the kajillion bats that live under the bridge over the Rio Grande in Austin, TX fly out at dusk. It's supposed to be AMAZING. We did go to Austin once, but for a day trip and had to leave before the bats came out. It was a bummer. 

So anyway, I was like, "can you paint us some bats? As a secret anniversary prize for Bryce?" 

She did not disappoint. This was the hardest secret to keep. Like, legitimately, Bryce got his love bats as soon as I brought them home because I was SO EXCITED that I knew I wouldn't keep it secret. So he got them 10 days early. 

My friend and I settled on flying foxes, because they are adorable and actually Bryce's favorite bat. (Yes, he has a favorite bat.) They're kind of like cats with leathery wings. 

She got going on some sketches, and every time she sent me a text with progress I just couldn't stop giggling. I am great at other people's secrets, but HORRID at poker-facing my own. 






I know flying foxes are technically tropical and so they wouldn't have fall leaves nearby, but the lady bat also wouldn't be wearing an autumnal crown so I just don't care. Suspend that disbelief! 

It was so cool to see them take shape. And then, I got to pick them up. And catch up with my friend, which was lovely (from a distance, tailgate-style, in the parking lot of a Starbucks). 

Then, it was time to give them to Bryce. Like, an hour after I brought them home. I just couldn't wait! 

It kind of looks like a 9 year old decorated that.

I think he likes them...

Love bats in their new home! 

Anniversary shot with the love bats. And of course I'm wearing my bat dress. 


Anniversary prize success! I love it because it is not just for Bryce, it is for our home and for both of us to enjoy every single day. It's unique to us. I can't say there are other people jumping on the Love Bat train! 

If you are interested in my friend's work or commissioning a piece, she can be found at @free_bird_artistry on Instagram. If you have not the Instagram (I don't) I can email you get contact info! It was such a fun process and so cool to have a gift that is so personalized to us. 

We may not have been able to go out for our anniversary, but it was a great weekend of celebration, hiking, food, and wine. And love bats! We really couldn't ask for more. 

11 comments:

  1. I love the love bats!! How cool that the artist shared her process with you. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Those love bats are fabulous! Such a great gift.

    Fun fact for Bryce. NZ's only native (land) mammal is a bat. A reason to come here POST-COVID? Not that I've ever seen one here. But there are bats that come out at dusk under the Sydney Harbour Bridge. I thought they were birds, and was so excited to learn they were bats. Flying foxes! So maybe on the way to NZ, you should stop in Australia too.

    Happy anniversary, guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a great gift, and I wouldn't have been able to keep it a secret long, either. What a beautiful painting.

    You're reminding me that somewhere in upper elementary school, I somehow got the nickname "Bat." I think because of my ears and my pall-ish complexion (asthma-related). I decided to turn it into a compliment (take-back-the-word) and so I actually DO have an affinity for bats, weirdly so.

    Happy anniversary, you two Love Bats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh I love this!!! Everything about this post made me smile. I would LOVE LOVE her info. I don't know if I could come up with anything as cool as love bats, but I would love to use her talent to have something beautiful to decorate my walls with. Could you email me?
    risakerslakewrites@gmail.com

    Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She gave permission! It's Jamie at @free_bird_artistry on Instagram. I hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  5. Wow your friend is so talented! I love the love bats! Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this!! This is fantastic on so many levels. You've also made me appreciate bats once again, which I stopped doing after hundreds of them moved into our attic requiring a re-roofing job and hours spent vacuuming up over 5 pounds of guano!

    Wishing you love bats a wonderful anniversary and many more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I must admit, I'm not a fan of bats, lol -- good thing there weren't a lot of them around when & where I grew up (going to a family reunion in Iowa was kind of creepy because they were EVERYWHERE!). But! that is a gorgeous piece of art, and a really unique, personal gift -- I love the meaning behind it! Happy anniversary! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You two are the most romantic couple, with the most original taste. Congratulations! I love your love bats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is absolutely AMAZING! It's gorgeous, original, and just beautiful. Congratulations on your anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, I just love this! Such a thoughtful present and it looks so nice hanging up - I love the colour you painted your walls btw

    ReplyDelete