Monday, December 31, 2018

#Microblog Mondays: Reflecting on 2018

New Year's Eve is an opportunity to look back on the year and see what transpired over the past year, what's changed, what's evolved, what were successes, what were failures (or maybe just 'not yets')... what made 2018 the year it was. Tomorrow, for me, is about planning for the new year.

2018, thankfully, was a far sight better than 2017. 2017 was The Year of Urgent Care, The Year of Massive Change, The Year I Became Chrysalis Goo, and The Year We Redefined What Our Life Would Be. So, a hard year, a year of tremendous loss, but also a year of reconstituting and recovering.

2018 started with us knowing exactly where we stood on the family front, and looking to see what we could do with this new and exciting opportunity to embrace what is and let go of what was not.

- January was rough, with the whole fatty liver thing making PCOS obviously a lifelong issue, and being told I "only" needed to lose 15-20 pounds.
- But, I did end up losing 12 pounds over the year and have maintained that loss. Which is great.
- I took up tap dancing, and although I am decidedly NOT a prodigy, I enjoy it and can't wait to get back to it in January as the move made both that and Buti Yoga near impossible to get to.
- We did new things -- more concerts out at the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra, a Bug Dinner, taking advantage of the art museum
- I wrote more, but didn't submit anything. File that under "not yet"
- I read a whopping 86 books. Less than 2016, which was 105, and the same as 2017 exactly. I think 2016 was a year of not doing as many things, and needing to escape a whole lot. I plan to do a separate post with my favorite books of the year. (To be fair, more than a few were for work, books my kids were reading so I could have meaningful conferences, so I wasn't reading 86 War and Peace-sized tomes.
- I hosted book club at our old house, which I had never felt I could do before we got all our new furniture and rearranged everything.
- I wrote 80 posts by the time this one goes up, my lowest since 2014 when I was in the 70s. I blame the move and a particularly challenging school year, but still not too shabby.
- I received my National Board certification, technically in December 2017, but it went into effect in 2018 and I have had it a whole year! I will say it is also nice to get the extra stipend, too.
- Bryce passed his Qualification Exam with flying colors and became an official PhD student/candidate.
- I tutored over the summer for the first time, and didn't hate it! It gave the summer structure, and gave me extra cash, and still allowed me to do all kinds of fun things on my own time.
- We decided to move after spending the summer evaluating the possibility of an addition/garage project.
- Moving took up much of the time between early September to now -- we had NO IDEA just how chaotic that process would be, to sell our existing home of 15 years (well, 12 for me) and move into a new house -- SO MUCH CLEANING AND ORGANIZING AND PURGING.
- But, the good news is that my annual "get the house organized and clean for the new year" craziness is going to be INCREDIBLY EASY this year. :)

That's a pretty damn good year, if I do say so myself!

I wish for you all the happiness in the world for 2019, and peace, and good health, and more of what makes you feel fulfilled.

Want to read more #Microblog Mondays? Ones that might actually be micro in nature? Go here and enjoy!

13 comments:

  1. That is a really impressive list! Definitely sounds like a very good year.

    Wishing you and Bryce the best in 2019 for a wonderful year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really was. And it is lovely to start a new year in a new place, literally and metaphorically!

      Delete
  2. I'm extremely behind on commenting, particularly with all that has been going on with you (so much love continuing to come your way about the move)! But I want to first congratulate you and Bryce for all you've accomplished with 2018 and wish you both an even better 2019.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am so grateful to be done with the major part of moving. The garage is still a disaster and there's things missing that I'm sure we'll find in boxes there... but whew, how lovely to start the year in a new home. I hope 2019 is better for you, too!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like an upturn-y year. You two accomplished a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was definitely an upturn-y year. I like that phrase a lot!

      Delete
  4. Such a great year in comparison to the prior, most definitely.

    And I personally think that since you don’t really have to do an annual organize the house chore this year you should definitely do something super relaxing and calming to celebrate that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hell yes. The difference between 2017 and 2018 was incredible. We were fairly lazy on New Year's Eve and went to dinner, then watched the ball drop on youtube since we lost local channels. I hope you had a New Year that starts off a great new year for you, a different new year for you.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful! Happiest of New Years to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy for you. Those are all impressive accomplishments, but it is your happiness and sense of newness in life that bring me joy. Happy New Year, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! So much happiness and newness, all good things! Happy New Year to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eek. I'm very late to this. But I'm trying to catch up.

    You had a major year! It may not have been as traumatic as 2017, but these first years after officially entering a No Kidding life can be demanding, and I think you've done incredibly well. 2018 also seems to have set you up for a great 2019. One that is calmer (no moving-house drama for a start), lighter (literally), and tappier! (Did I ever tell you I learnt tap as a kid, and did all the qualificiations in it?)

    Happy New Year, Jess! I am so happy you're in my life, through writing here.

    PS. I'm seriously impressed at 86 books!

    ReplyDelete