Monday, November 21, 2016

#Microblog Mondays: Snow Day



Sometimes, the universe throws you a bone.

We had our first snow yesterday into today, and it was a doozy -- about 11 inches, blustery winds that created blizzard conditions, and just super heavy, wet snow.

I put my pajamas on inside out last night, put ice cubes in the toilets, and put a spoon in the freezer. Don't get me wrong, I love teaching, but this year has been incredibly complex with more parent calls and meetings than I've ever had, I spent my weekend at the Christmas Carol performances where I was the Fezziwig Fiddler (so three 2.5 hour commitments between pre-show and show, where I was on stage a whopping three minutes...brief but totally worth it), Sunday was spent on a personal project I'll tell you about in a bit, and I've been fighting a respiratory thing and migraines on top of it all. A snow day was a total gift.

The thing about snow days is that they are a truly free day -- a day you expected to work, a day you planned for, a day you don't have to write sub plans for or worry about NOT having sub coverage as has been happening more frequently later -- and so you can just relax. You have time to go sledding or snowball fighting with your kids if you have them (says Facebook). You have time to sit on the couch wrapped in a cozy throw blanket and finish reading the book you've been sandwiching between student novels if you don't, and you even have time to squeeze in a nice sweaty workout.

This past week or so has been completely insane with meetings and obligations and play rehearsal and preview assemblies (three performances in a row! wheeee!) and performances and getting the house and grocery shopping ready for hosting Thanksgiving that having an extra free day without any plans in it was the best thing EVER.

Thank you, lake effect snow...I owe you one.

Want to read more #Microblog Mondays? Go here and enjoy!

20 comments:

  1. I'd never thought of it that way, but of course, it's a free day because of its sheer unexpectedness!

    I hope you are feeling better already. I hope you have a wonderful week ahead of you, too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it exactly! An unexpected gift of time. :) Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, I hope you have a great week of family and food.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you got a much needed day off. They are hard to come by, but snow days especially are a gift as you find yourself prepared for the next day, so you truly can take some time to yourself.

    Very curious about how the musical went and also what else you've been up to. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Needed day off. For sure. It was super restorative. The musical was great! It was so fun to be a part of. And other things we're up to... heh heh heh. Making limoncello out of lemons, I guess.

      Delete
  3. Yay! Happy snow day! I hope you had a restful, healing day yesterday, and that you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Bright blessings to you and yours, Jess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, same to you! It was very healing and restful.

      Delete
  4. That's brilliant! I imagine it must be like that feeling you get when plans that you didn't really want to do anyway get cancelled :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's it exactly. It's like a freedom you paid nothing for. :)

      Delete
  5. Nice!!! No snow here, alas. Although some is supposed to fall this week. Very unlikely we will get a snow day, however. Last one was in the early 2000s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's crazy! We had none last year, but we do occasionally get one or, the year we had a blizzard, three. I suspect this will be a very snowy winter and we may end up making up days later in the year...

      Delete
  6. Oh god, I love a snow day. Total licence to do absolutely nothing without a second thought. On sick days I feel a bit guilty, but on snow days - nah, it's a force of nature, you can't do anything about it, and you don't even have to do the croaky-voice phonecall; what's not to like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! License to do absolutely nothing. That's it exactly! I love that, the croaky-voice phonecall. Who hasn't done that... :)

      Delete
  7. Yay for a snow day!! I really really love snow days! Something about them gets me excited like it did when I was a kid. We usually don't get them this early in the season where I am, though. So jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they great? There's definitely an excitement about snow days. Unless you run a plow service, I guess... We don't normally get them this early either, and have had years where we don't get a one. Last year, no snow days. I like to send pictures of Not-A-Snow-Day to my best friend downstate, since they close whenever there's an inch!

      Delete
  8. Yikes!! We had a bit of snow that same day, but nowhere near that much - and it was mostly gone the next day. Glad you got to enjoy a snow day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was so weird -- even 5 miles away it was vastly different. Districts right next to each other were different--some open and some closed. Silly Lake Effect!

      Delete
  9. I need to know more about the ice cubes in the toilets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's all these weird superstitions about bringing on a snow day (or increasing the chances, I guess?):
      - inside out pajamas
      - some people say backwards pajamas
      - spoon in the freezer
      - some people say sleep with the spoon under your pillow (but that's just plain uncomfortable)
      - ice cubes in the toilet bowl

      I don't know why, maybe because the ice chills the water and encourages snow? It's all hooey, and there's nothing worse than wearing pajamas funny and having a spoon in your ice bucket and ice in your toilets and having there NOT be a snow day. But this time there was! :)

      Delete