Monday, February 20, 2017

#Microblog Mondays: Fall Down, Get Back up

Please note the ghost of Bryce in the window...he's tall which is why this is so top-down. It makes me look super short, which I'm not, but it also has a slimming effect, which I'm not complaining about. 

There's a Japanese proverb that goes something like this: "Fall down seven times, get up eight."

I feel like this is my mantra for life February, because it has been a lot of falling down and getting back up.

Most recently, in a literal sense.

We went on an ice skating field trip on Friday, the last day before February Break. I was psyched, because I used to skate as a young person all the time and even took lessons (I was no Olympiad or anything, originally it was suggested as something to strengthen my weak ankles and other joints)...so I was like, "Wahoo! Ice skating! During the school day!"

The skates are different now -- more like ski boots with two clamps instead of laces and those tie hooks (which honestly felt far more stable than these new-fangled plastic things).

I started slow and then felt at ease in my skates, started speeding up, hit a curve too fast and...WHOOSH BOOM. Skates in the air, hard fall on my left side, elbow hit and hyperextended.

The FIRST thing I did was look around to see if anyone saw me dump it, and then I held my throbbing elbow and thought, "Oh shit, I hope I didn't hurt myself."

But I got back up (with the help of a hockey helper). And I kept skating, albeit slower for a while. I didn't try any of the tricks I knew when I was a teenager, because apparently when you turn forty your balance is different, your center of gravity has shifted, and you just aren't as nimble as you were when you last skated over a decade ago. Go figure.

I did end up spending three hours I'll never get back in Urgent Care on Saturday, to make sure I hadn't broken anything (still can't straighten it all the way and it's wicked sore and swollen on either side of the joint), which I didn't. I got a swanky sling, and I have to take it easy.

So many people didn't realize I'd fallen though...and I think it's because I got up quickly and got right back to skating. Stand up, brush yourself off, slow it down a bit, and KEEP GOING. Yeah, that sounds like life February to me all right. Fall hard, don't let them see just how much it hurt, keep smiling through the tumbles in hopes that it'll be smoother skating ahead.

Want to read more #Microblog Mondays? Go here and enjoy!

25 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your fall. I had a fall last Tuesday and my arm is still bothering me. Like you, I was more worried about people around. I fell off a chair while having lunch at work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I hope your arm feels better soon. It's the worst when you dump it unexpectedly!

      Delete
  2. Owie! Had my own tumble on some black ice in the driveway yesterday (had a lucky landing half in a big snow bank, so mostly just sore all over today) and immediately looked at the neighbor's house to see if anyone was outside/witnessing my lack of grace. Glad to hear there wasn't any major damage to your elbow, and especially appreciate your mantra of smiling through the tumbles. Hope March is less stumbly for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack, it must be Fall Season -- I'm so sorry you fell. Black ice is scary stuff, I'm glad you fell in a snowbank and not the hard asphalt! Definitely the soreness. I went to the chiropractor today and she was like WHAT. DID. YOU. DO. Oh well. Me too, I hope March is way better than this craptastic February! Same to you!

      Delete
  3. Well, if this isn't an apt metaphor for the infertility/adoption journey, I don't know what is.

    You are such a woman of grace. Anyone can be graceful upright. The truly graceful can get knocked down and get back up again the way you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty good metaphor, no? I love that, "anyone can be graceful upright" Thanks so much.

      (On a side note, I described myself as a "klutzy ninja" the other day -- I knock things over (including myself) but I can usually catch them in midair miraculously. Too bad I'm the one who caused the fumble in the first place or it would be a cool skill!)

      Delete
  4. Ouch!!! So glad you didn't break anything. I went ice skating recently after not skating for a couple decades, and WOW. Oh man did my feet hurt. I felt like A toddler trying to figure out how to keep balance. Getting older sucks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. All I could think was, "oh no, if I end up needing a cast or surgery that would really be a pain in general but especially if we get That Call..." I forgot how much ice skating works the ankles. It's why I miss the old skates, because I felt they offered SO much more ankle support. Ah, well. Getting older really does suck! I do want to go skating again though. Maybe that's the start of dementia, har har.

      Delete
  5. Just curious: were you using speed skates? I went on a speed skating trip with some 6th graders years ago and one kid broke her wrist, poor thing. I found speed skates really awkward and will be sticking to my figure skates. Haven't skated in quite a while but AJ is noticing hockey now. Hmmmmm. Heal quickly. If there's some unavoidable downtime involved I hope you make the best of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be so much less embarrassing if they were speed skates... but no. Just rental figure skates with a toe pick (necessary, I hate skates without one). I am definitely stressing with the lack of work I've completed, but I am making the best of the downtime, for sure. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Ouch. Though I'm majorly impressed that you kept on skating. Hope your arm feels better (and straightens out!) soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am stubborn that way! It may not have been smart, but if you fall and then get off the ice, you may never get back on it again. So, good news -- I can straighten, but torque hurts. I think my ligaments got stretched, which is way better than a break or dislocation. Every day's a bit better!

      Delete
  7. I'm glad that your arm wasn't seriously damaged, but it still looks (and sounds) painful! Yes - we fall down, get up, and hope no-one noticed. That's life alright. Sending well wishes for fast healing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ouch! Hope your arm gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Fall hard, don't let them see just how much it hurt, keep smiling through the tumbles in hopes that it'll be smoother skating ahead." LOVE this! So true and such a good motto for everything in life. I hope your elbow feels better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, glad you love it! Always nice to turn something icky into a motto of sorts. :) The elbow is getting better, now is that time where I need to not overdo things and recognize limitations. Which I suck at. So, taking it easy.

      Delete
  10. Truly a fitting metaphor for infertility and many things in life. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yikes!! I saw the photo & thought, "uh-oh!!" Glad it wasn't anything serious, although I appreciate that it still hurts!! I haven't been skating in well over 30 years, although I too took figure skating lessons and practically lived at the rink when I was a kid. And although knee & elbow pads and helmets were unheard of back then, you can bet that if I ever did venture out on the ice again now, I would be padded to the hilt. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I had the choice to wear a helmet... and was like, NO WAY! Maybe elbow pads would have been smart though. :) I had a student who wore snow pants, and he was like "I am SOOOO padded!" Smart, so smart! It's getting better, so that's good.

      Delete
  12. Oops! Hope it is nor hurting much now.
    On a lighter note - I should get a picture clicked like that. I am short so I don't care and who would mind looking leaner ;)

    Thank you so much Jess for mentioning me over the round up. Means a lot. Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's better every day, although still sore. I sleep funny on it so mornings are the worst. Which is nice, because it only gets better from there! No worries on the roundup, I loved your piece. :)

      Delete
  13. Ouch! Sorry to hear about the arm and the fall. Hope it's starting to get better!

    ReplyDelete