Monday, February 10, 2020

#Microblog Mondays: BitterSnips

1) I officially have Influenza A, despite having a flu shot, and I am out of work for another two days. Which would be considered a windfall, if it wasn't my IEP meeting season and I didn't have to meet with parents and kids to meet my deadlines... going to try to enjoy bingewatching Schitt's Creek and Mrs. Maisel anyway, now that I am coherent enough to watch TV and read.

2) I saw an article from the New York Times via Facebook (hey, I'm sick, I increased my timer a bit), titled "What They Paid to Make a Baby (or 2)" and was pleasantly surprised that it started with this: "Not everyone who uses assisted reproductive technology winds up with a baby." But it profiles five NYC people who did end up with a baby (or 2) and what it cost, including things like transportation, therapy, meds, supplements, acupuncture...you name it. I was shocked to find that between ART and adoption, we outspent the most expensive one over 8.5 years, and did not wind up with a baby. Which led to a philosophical meandering on privilege, and a painful thought experiment of whether we'd have gone so deep for so long if we couldn't find funding for it, and whether that would have been better or worse.

3) I just have to repeat how much I hate ultrasound pregnancy announcements, even when I love that people are having babies. And I resent that I feel that I must hit the "love" button and say congratulations on every single post related to this impending joy even though I find the ultrasound photos irritating, or else be perceived as the bitter childless person who hates babies and pregnant people. Okay fine, I'm a bitter childless person but I still don't get why everyone has to see the inside of your ladycave in order to congratulate you. (I feel better already.)

4) Lastly, Bryce shared that he was talking to someone at work about traveling to conferences, and she said, "I'll be honest, I'm just really nervous about the coronavirus. I think maybe it's because now I have children..." and Bryce cut in and said, "I call bullshit. I don't have kids, and I still want to live!"  Even though that statement is more often used to say that people like us have less to live for, I almost passed out in the kitchen from laughing so hard with my compromised lungs because it was such a perfect response.

Want to read more #MicroblogMondays? Go here and enjoy! 

6 comments:

  1. I am very sorry you're sick. And when you have IEP meetings scheduled too. How annoying. Just rest for now. The meetings will happen when you're well.

    Congrats to Bryce! I wouldn't have thought to say something so accurate in the moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Bryce!

    I'm sorry about the ultrasound announcements. I posted about this a few years years ago, and received a rather snarky response from a former IFer who had done exactly that, basically telling me I had to live in the real world. But my point is and always will be, it would be nice if the real world didn't include these announcements, especially from those who should know they hurt. I DON'T think you should feel you have to Like them, and offer congratulations. Just blame Fbk's weird algorithm for not "seeing" it, or say you've blocked ultrasound photos (wouldn't it be great if we could?). And frankly, if someone is going to take specific note of those who have liked or not liked their posts, then they're a bit petty!

    Ouch to the funding of IVF. Yes, if we hadn't been able to self-fund, we wouldn't have qualified for public funding, and we'd never have tried. The money saved ... well, it would have been a trip or two!

    Finally, in reverse, I'm really sorry you're sick, and I hope you feel better soon. And don't go back to work until you are fully rested and fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are feeling better soon! Sorry to hear that you are sick. I hope you're able to enjoy binge watching Mrs. Maisel and Schitt's Creek (though, trying not to spoil, I'll just say that I'm up to season 4 in Schitt's Creek and there's one plot line starting in that season that had infertile me throwing my hands in the air and rolling my eyes a bit).

    GO BRYCE! I love the way he put that - so true and so wonderfully done. That is awesome.

    Ultrasound pregnancy stuff/announcements...I'm with you on that one. Those suck.

    Will have to look at the NY times article. It's a tough question.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw that NYT article, and had the same reaction... I was tickled they actually acknowledged that not everyone winds up with a baby... but why feature only couples who did, then?? I guess it's progress of sorts, but...!

    I hope you are feeling better soon! Even before the corona virus, it seems like this has been a particularly nasty cold & flu season. (And Bryce, that was PERFECT!!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right on, Bryce! I may have done a fist pump when I read that part.

    I hope you feel better really soon. Ugh on having the flu shot AND the flu! I hope your binge-watching goes well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to read you're sick.
    Kudos to Bryce.

    ReplyDelete