Monday, September 23, 2019

#Microblog Mondays: September Is Brutal

I cannot believe it is the last week of September already. I feel like I have been dropped down a black hole of time where I keep trying to get on top of things to balance my life out, but I'm somehow always at the bottom of that swirly hole, looking up. 

I am enjoying this year so far, but it is CONSUMING my every waking moment. I have somehow managed to be perfectly well Monday-Friday and then collapse into either stomach bug illness, scratchy sore throat, or migraine with vomiting on Saturdays. I think it's because I'm exhausted and go-go-go-ing at school all week, and then phoof, deflated once I can take a breather. 

Part of the reason is that I teach three self-contained classes in a row periods 1-3 (12:1:1 social studies, 15:1 Reading, 15:1 English), and so I had better be ready and prepped to go first thing in the morning. Another part is that I'm diving into the world of Google Classroom and trying to go all paperless and high-tech, and I'm finding that the connectivity of it is awesome but somehow I feel like it is more time consuming than paper assignments...but totally worth it. A third part is that my caseload is challenging, not because of significant behaviors but because of the boatload of trauma these kids are lugging with them all day, and a high energy vibe that needs to be harnessed for good. 

More on that later, but I have this feeling that because I don't have kids, I am doing a piss-poor job of balancing work and home since I don't have to drive anyone anywhere, I don't have to get people off to bed or help them with homework, so I tend to devote all my time to the gazillion things I want to do for school. I stay too late. I stay up too late working on stuff. I find myself staring at the clock in my office in disbelief as it speeds past 9:30, 10, 10:30 and I'm still in the middle of stuff. 

It will get easier, though... by the time October rolls around (shockingly soon), I should have a better handle on what I need to do for this group (really these groups) of kids and what I need to do to balance things out more for myself. Feeling healthier on the weekend should help too...I keep losing Saturday to feeling like crap and then Sunday comes and I have to get right back to planning and grading and documenting. 

It's a good thing I absolutely love my job, because it's kinda sorta killing me! But yeah, September is brutal. 

Want to read more #Microblog Mondays? Go here and enjoy!

16 comments:

  1. Girl!!!!! Three self-contained periods back to back is alot! I commend you for it. Hopefully the weekend starts treating you better, and you're right as October comes balancing becomes a bit easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The trend is getting easier, with Mondays and Fridays being toughest (probably because they're coming off a weekend and going into a weekend, and that causes stress). I think by October I will feel a lot better about life!

      Delete
  2. Well, with one of your last posts you did establish that you are a Type A/wanting everything perfect type of person so I'm not that surprised that you throw all of yourself into your work. I'm sure it is why you are such a good teacher and why your kids love you- because you do so much extra work. Just make sure to take care of yourself because although you don't have kids, it's still important to have a work-life balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. I am my own worst enemy. Although, today I was at school until 6:15, and lovely Bryce took me out to dinner to make a tough day far less awful. I'm trying to get better at the balance, I swear. I don't know why this year feels so much harder in that regard. Thanks for your compliments!

      Delete
  3. What Non Sequitur Chica said. I get the tendency to always want to do a little more, but sometimes you just have to say it is good enough. Hoping you will have a much calmer, and more balanced, October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think October will be better. I feel like it's starting to trend a little less crazy. It is so hard for me to say "good enough" and stop, but I think for my sanity I have to!

      Delete
  4. That sounds intense! Could you set an alarm for yourself and make sure you stop working by that time so you get some time in the evenings? I hope you find a better work life balance soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I think an alarm would be stressful, but it's a good idea! I have been trying to get everything done before I leave so when I go home I can do HOME things and not just school school school until I pass out. :)

      Delete
  5. I have no teaching experience, so all I can say is that this sounds incredibly hard and you sound incredibly good at it. Thank you for being such an amazing teacher and role model for these kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love it so, so much. It is definitely a struggle balancing life out this year for some reason though. I have to figure that out, if nothing else so I'm not cranky with the kids! :)

      Delete
  6. Yes Jess, seconding what NSC said above. Work-life balance is so important FOR EVERYONE!! Here’s hoping you get to take some time for yourself that’s meaningful and restful very soon!! (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I cannot WAIT for the three-day weekend coming up in a couple weeks. And October is here, and so it should get easier now that the beginning of the year maintenance and routine building and assessments are over. For the most part. I just want to get these guys into a good routine, and they are definitely a squirrelly bunch, and so I can't get as much done during the day as I'd like. But I bet if I was more disciplined I could get more done and then leave everything for the next day when I leave. In theory, ha!

      Delete
  7. The beginning of the school year sucks. I hate it. We went back earlier than you so, yes, I can confirm what you already know: it gets better. You'll get in the groove with your classes and get in the know about what's most important for your students this year. You enjoy life too much to not read or garden or enjoy time with your husband so I'm not worried about you. I just can't wait until October for you! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesssss, October is the best! I can't wait. It's still bumpy this week, but it's more up and down trending up. Which is a relief. I think after this week it will be much more settled, and hopefully it will feel less like herding drunk cats in heat. :) More reading! More gardening!

      Delete
  8. What a lot!

    I have a feeling if I could teach alongside you, I'd learn a whole lot. I'm sure you are a blessing to your students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooof, yes. It has been physically challenging this year! But I do love them, even when they drive me up a wall. I would love to teach alongside you! We could be a cool, caring team. :) Thank you.

      Delete